Consumer Fraud Auction Fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.

yummynummy

Hi,

I have a question. I recently went to a charity event for Diabetes and bid on an auction item for a one week stay anywhere in the world at a 5 star resort. All that was given for details during the bid was a print out of the travel company's web homepage. After I had won the bid for $3,250, I went to redeem my prize. All I received was a print out of the travel company's web page and contact information for me to redeem my prize. I later learned that the prize was not for a 5 star resort but for a timeshare and it was not anywhere in the world but anywhere in the world they had a timeshare at. Also, I learned that I had to book during a "Hot Week" which is booking from a listing they have only 1-4 weeks in advance with an additional price of $199-$399. None of this was on the printout. Also, it wasn't the travel company that donated this auction item but a member of the travel company who donated her week for a timeshare. I am trying to get my money back from the non-profit but they will not give it to me. Now the event coordinator (third party that coordinated the event and auction items) is changing what the CEO of the non-profit said she would do to help me which is to pay the $600 for me to book 6 months in advance and said that she talked to the member and I could go to Rome for my honeymoon but the events coordinator is saying that I have to pay the booking fee before I even get to see the listings or before she discloses all the information. Is there any way at all I can just get my money back? Can I sue? Who can I sue? Please please please help! This was a present to my fiance for our honeymoon next year. I can't afford another $3000 for our honeymoon.

Without seeing the actual flyer or advertisement it's difficult to say.

I do fear however that you bid on an item without fully investigating or understanding what you're were bidding for (in other words, I'm not convinced this is a "bait and switch" situation).

Run it by a local attorney anyway - it shouldn't cost you much for an initial consult.

How did you pay and how long ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back