Attorney Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

filmmajor

I was arrested earlier this year, and I'm out of work currently, so I was appointed a public defender. Unfortunately, he seems vastly overworked and disinterested, and seems more intent on trying to cut a deal and get the case over with, then representing me at trial. This is despite the fact that I am innocent, have no prior record, and it doesn't seem like the prosecution has a particularly good case against me. I have recently found a relative of mine who have said that they are willing to help me pay for a private attorney, so I I wanted to drop my PD and hire my own attorney now, would I be allowed to do it? Would I receive some big penalty or something for doing so? I don't want to entrust my future to a PD who doesn't seem particularly interested in the outcome of my case. For the record, the trial itself has not begun yet.

Yes you can switch to a private lawyer. Contact the office of PD. Your new lawyer would tell you how to do it. It is legal…… What you are going through is what a lot of people complain about PD. Any financial penalty is better that having a criminal record without a good fight........Good luck

Attorney ?

Try using the computer to access current laws in your state as well as government laws. Private lawyers have many clients as well and truly appreciate anything you can do to help.
Don't simply leave your life in the hands of someone else. Help yourself.
Trust me I have an extremely good private lawyer however I realize I am not his only client so I have spent countless hours at this computer pouring over government and state laws where I live. I have been the one to volunteer to go get any information on paper that will help my case and he truly appreciates that I am willing to fight for myself and not just let him do all the work. Lawyers (especially criminal one's) are pretty busy these days so when they see you trying to help yourself they tend to help you a little harder.
Just a thought.

Try using the computer to access current laws in your state as well as government laws. Private lawyers have many clients as well and truly appreciate anything you can do to help.
Don't simply leave your life in the hands of someone else. Help yourself.
Trust me I have an extremely good private lawyer however I realize I am not his only client so I have spent countless hours at this computer pouring over government and state laws where I live. I have been the one to volunteer to go get any information on paper that will help my case and he truly appreciates that I am willing to fight for myself and not just let him do all the work. Lawyers (especially criminal one's) are pretty busy these days so when they see you trying to help yourself they tend to help you a little harder.
Just a thought.

I'd be all for helping my attorney, I've openly asked him if there was ANYTHING I could do to take some of his burden away (he says no). The trouble is, half the time it takes him almost a WEEK to contact me to answer even the simplest question or update me after something has changed. I think that's ridiculous, and as I said he seems to want to plea bargain a lot, even though from what he has told me the case against me is FAR from a sure conviction. I just feel like he doesn't have my best interests at heart, you know? Believe me, I would NEVER trust my life completely to someone else. I just wish he'd do SOMETHING. It's so frustrating knowing your innocent, but being at the mercy of others (the judge, the jury, attorneys etc.) to decide your ultimate fate.

Atorney Question

Sounds like you are trying!!!!
I hear what you are saying about frustration.
If he says you have a good chance maybe you should go private.
I was not critzizing it's just not everyone realizes the laws can be accessed on the internet.
Another thing to remember about his "Plea bargain" frenzy is that in the end it is the government giving his pay check, the same one prosecuting you.
Try calling him several times a day when you ask questions and he doesn't answer in a timely manner until you can get a different lawyer.
Again I wish you all the best.......

PDs are overwhelmed and it's not a good system.

But it's better than nothing.

You might want to get a private attorney now than blame yourself later. I stand by my previous advice...........Do all you can to make sure your concerns are addressed now than regretting at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back