attorney husband's "mistress" (who is also an attorney) mailed out a document

Status
Not open for further replies.

reyn

that my sister's attorney said was not available to the public. This document, filed as part of the divorce proceeding, contained questions/answers to be filed in the husband's counter-suit. Someone mailed to my sister and also to her sons the documents that had been filed regarding "answers to the counter-suit" for divorce.

What principle or ethics of practice would this action fall under if these documents were mailed out by the "other woman" who happened to be an attorney or any member of the bar?

Surely, there must be a violation of ethics and principles if these papers were not yet available in open court and had not yet been "answered" by my sister. Am I correct?

Thank you for any help that you may give,

Rehn

Sister's attorney

Your sister's attorney should be informed and you should let them handle it. It sounds like you don't know who mailed the documents out, so it would be your sister's word against the ex's girlfriend. If there is an ethics violation your sister's lawyer may consel her to report the incident to your State Bar Association.

calalily said:
Your sister's attorney should be informed and you should let them handle it. It sounds like you don't know who mailed the documents out, so it would be your sister's word against the ex's girlfriend. If there is an ethics violation your sister's lawyer may consel her to report the incident to your State Bar Association.
This is good advice (even for a non-attorney, lol) and you may want to look up the lawyer's information online, whether the attorney is a member of good standing or whether there has been a prior complaint/disbarment. Many states make this available to you online. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back