Attorney fees

Paulaann

Jurisdiction
Mississippi
My sister and I are heirs. she does not want contribute to attorney fees to pursue our inheritance. What can be done? If I pay and pursue it alone does she still inherit?

Very generally (because of the lack of actual information provided), the attorney would be paid by the estate.

Very generally (because of the lack of actual information provided), the attorney would be paid by the estate.
She and I are the heirs. Retainer to get attorney we need $25,000. If she does not pay her half is there any thing that I can do? Does she still receive as an heir?

My sister and I are heirs.

Heirs to what? A parent's estate? Something else?

she does not want contribute to attorney fees to pursue our inheritance.

Why would you (or she) need to hire an attorney "to pursue [your] inheritance"?

What can be done?

In the abstract and without any relevant facts whatsoever, I have to assume that the list of things that "can be done" probably numbers several dozen or more than a hundred, and I have no interest in trying to compile such a list.

If I pay and pursue it alone does she still inherit?

With virtually no relevant facts having been provided, the only possible answer to this question is maybe.

Retainer to get attorney we need $25,000.

If an attorney is requiring a $25k retainer to handle the probate of an estate, then there is something very unique about the estate. Normally, the attorney handling the probate of an estate is paid a percentage of the value of the estate.

Again, if you want useful information, you'll need to provide relevant facts. However, if you don't want to provide relevant facts, I suspect the attorney asking for the $25k retainer will be happy to answer your questions.

Back