Attempting to charge elderly grandmother for services not performed

d2n108low

Jurisdiction
California
My Mom is 83 years old and after Dad passed, she is at home alone now. The problem is the pool service claims to have performed maintenance service to the pool filtration system to stop a slow/drip leak (which has been like that for years). The pool service had their service technician come out and change/repair the back flow shut off valve. I had another pool service stop by and inspect the work completed. It was discovered that the valve was not repaired and or replaced. A $2.00 cap was place at the drain pipe which stopped the leak. The same valve was still in place. The pool service is charging Mom $105.00 for gluing the cap over the drain pipe. When I called to question why the $105.00 charge the office personal stated for the repair of the valve and replacement parts, such as valve components and new gaskets was the reason. Which is false. Why would you repair a drain valve then cap the end of the drain pipe making it impossible to drain the backwash the filtration tank. Note the tank has its own drain. The drain in question is a backwash drain. What is my course of action. I've heard from other customers that they've experienced the same type of over charges for work not rendered.

Attachments

• 20170109_202802.jpg
    20170109_202802.jpg
    988.4 KB · Views: 2
She should get something in writing from the second company detailing what they found and then file a complaint with her local consumer affairs agency.

I wouldn't be paying that bill if I was her.

Back