Attempted collections on 9yo judgment

gimr03

Jurisdiction
New York
Back in 00's, my husband and i endured many years of financial hardship due to his increasing physical disability. We did have a couple of judgments filed against us which have all now fallen off our credit reports.
A couple of months ago i recd a letter from a Nevada based debt collector wanting me to pay $2377 "plus accruing interest and fees". i sent them a timely letter stating that i disputed the validity of the debt, and asked them for proof.
Yesterday i recd a 3-page copy of a Washington Mutual credit card statement from 12/2007, an illegible page that looks like info was printed over another page of copy, and a copy of a judgment dated 1/15/2010 in the amount of $1355.09 that was alleged to have been served to me by Forster & Garbus. The copy of the judgment was not signed nor sealed by the county clerk.
Upon review of everything that's been sent to me, i realized that the debt collector is the 4th or 5th party to have been passed this alleged debt. Their latest cover letter states that i now owe $2398.86+.
There has been no phone contact with the debt collector as i do not answer calls from unknown phone numbers. My first instinct is to have no further contact with them, but is that truly the correct course of action? i understand that NYS SOL on money judgements is 20 years so my feeling is they're looking to revive the judgment. Please help. We are looking to buy a home in the next couple of years and do not want any unpleasant surprises.

My first instinct is to have no further contact with them, but is that truly the correct course of action?

Yes, never feed a troll or scammer.

Their latest cover letter states that i now owe $2398.86+.

Their claim alone does NOT make it true.

I suggest you search the ALLEGED court site for any record of this so called judgment.

I doubt that you'll find anything, but it will offer you peace of mind.

i understand that NYS SOL on money judgements is 20 years so my feeling is they're looking to revive the judgment.

Judgments can be renewed and lengthen their life for decades.

Again, search the alleged court website where the scammer claims the judgment was granted.

However, don't contact or communicate in any manner, or form with the scammer.

Yes, never feed a troll or scammer.

Their claim alone does NOT make it true.

I suggest you search the ALLEGED court site for any record of this so called judgment.

I doubt that you'll find anything, but it will offer you peace of mind.

Judgments can be renewed and lengthen their life for decades.

Again, search the alleged court website where the scammer claims the judgment was granted.

However, don't contact or communicate in any manner, or form with the scammer.

dear Army Judge, thank you for your reply.
i did check the county website, and this judgment is not listed there.
i had no good feelings about that debt collector.
thank you again -- sincerely

i had no good feelings about that debt collector.

Good for you, never trust a scammer.

You can also use a search engine such as Google, Bing, Yahoo, or whatever you use to search the name of the scammer and see what others have to say about the so called "debt scavenger".

You can also see what is being said about the scammer on: www.ripoffreport.com

ohhh First National Collection Bureau seems to be a quite well-known scavenger . . . just one branch of a many-headed hydra out there in the wilds of Nevada . . .

You need to confirm the validity of the judgment or that it's not valid. Until you've done that, deciding on a course of action would be premature.

i did check the county website, and this judgment is not listed there.

Was there a case number and court name on the judgment? It's possible that the online docket doesn't go back far enough. I suggest that you take a copy of the judgment to the court and do your search there with the help of the court clerk.

Back