At what point would I be "practicing law" without a license?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulinNY

My jurisdiction is: NY

Hi, all
I do a little legwork(document-retrieval, public records lookups, ect) for some clients because I live very close to key facilities(County Seat, Central Records, and courthouse, and between having a lot of spare time and a car that gets high MPG, I can do these sort of things efficiently and economically.
I basically just do a lot of running around, picking up and delivering documents - basically just acting as an independant courier. No problem with that, AFAIK.

But here`s where it gets murky: I am thinking about adding a service to
increase both my revenue and my utility, which, in this case, would be offering to file DBAs for people. Now, if I simply hand someone blank Bloomberg forms, have *them* fill out several (with alternate choices of names in the event their first or second choice is not available), and offer, for a fee, to drive out to the (rather inconveniently-located and somewhat remote) County Seat, do a name-search, file his form(s), get certified copies, and return them to my client, would I be putting myself at any kind of a legal risk of being accused of practicing law without a license?

Afterall, I`m not offering any legal advice, and the Bloomberg form for a DBA
is so simple I can`t imagine anyone actually needing any help filling it out.

Giving or selling blank forms is not the practice of law. When you fill them out or offer advice you are crossing the line.

(Quote) "Giving or selling blank forms is not the practice of law. When you fill them out or offer advice you are crossing the line."

As far as THAT part goes, I didn`t really see any problem with that either, but what about me doing the name search and actual filing of the client`s document at the County Seat? Am I still good, or am I cruising for trouble?
I would certainly agree with anyone who said that my doing this creates an
"appearance of impropriety" of sorts, and no doubt I`d be stepping on some toes, since there are lawyers who offer basically the same service, and would likely soon be out gunning for me(since I`d be advertising this service), so I
want to be certain I`m not doing anything illegal by doing the actual filing.

As far as my "offering advice", the form itself is so simple a 5th grader could fill it out, so I don`t anticipate being asked to help fill out the form(and certainly wouldn`t, even if asked), but I DO anticipate the need to mention
to the client that they should fill out 3-5 of these forms, each with a different
DBA name, in the event their 1st or 2nd choice of names is already taken.
In this context, would this be considered "offering legal advice"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back