AT&T Phone Line Misrepresented in New Home. What Now?

DiegoG

Jurisdiction
California
Hello,

I recently bought a newly built townhouse in Hayward, California. The Seller said that the property came with an AT&T Telephone Land Line. The reality is that because of complications with The Builder and their relationship (or lack thereof) with AT&T, the conduit from the nearest street through the newly built street to my house was not completed. AT&T is blaming The Builder. And The Builder is blaming AT&T. The bottom line is that I still don't have a land line for this house and it looks like I may never have one. I have been working on this issue for 3 months with both The Builder and AT&T and just now learning that basically The Builder would have to tear up the street to install the proper conduit and I feel like they are terribly unwilling to do that at this point in time since the project is "completed" to them. What legal recourse do I have, please? (Thank you.)

Hello,

I recently bought a newly built townhouse in Hayward, California. The Seller said that the property came with an AT&T Telephone Land Line. The reality is that because of complications with The Builder and their relationship (or lack thereof) with AT&T, the conduit from the nearest street through the newly built street to my house was not completed. AT&T is blaming The Builder. And The Builder is blaming AT&T. The bottom line is that I still don't have a land line for this house and it looks like I may never have one. I have been working on this issue for 3 months with both The Builder and AT&T and just now learning that basically The Builder would have to tear up the street to install the proper conduit and I feel like they are terribly unwilling to do that at this point in time since the project is "completed" to them. What legal recourse do I have, please? (Thank you.)
Did your contract specifically state that the house would have a landline?

What legal recourse do I have, please?

From what you've described, you appear to have little (if any) legal recourse.

You are always welcome to consult with practicing attorneys licensed in your state.

Most attorneys will meet with clients (during the time of Covid) telephonically, electronically, or in person.

If things are as you revealed, this resulted because you relied upon statements made by the seller (or her/his designee).

Proving those verbal revelations will be impossible, even if you eventually sued someone.

I wish you well.

I almost forgot, you can obtain the equivalent of a 20th century landline if you use VOIP in conjunction with your internet provider. In fact, anyone who has traditional television cable can easily get VOIP from their cable provider who will probably offer the customer a discount on VOIP.

I use VOIP and I no longer need a "20th century" landline.

I would never give up my hardwired landline no matter what other technology I had.
You do know that a large number of the people you contact with your landline are using some form of VoIP, right?

The Seller said that the property came with an AT&T Telephone Land Line. The reality is that because of complications with The Builder. . . .

Are the "Seller" and the "Builder" the same person/entity or different persons/entities?

If, as appears to be the case, this land line was important to you, why didn't you verify its existence before moving in? Did you have a home inspection done? If so, did the report mention the lack of telephone service?

What legal recourse do I have, please?

No one who hasn't read the relevant documents can say with any certainty, but you might have a claim against the "Seller" for falsely representing the existence of the land line.

You can, of course, consult with a local attorney, but I suspect that you can get an adequate substitute for a LOT less than any legal action would cost.

I would never give up my hardwired landline no matter what other technology I had.

I'm a loss to understand how this opinion has anything to do with the OP's legal question. It's really only serving to derail the thread.

We frequently give advice that is only tangentially related to the initial question(s). In this case, it seems appropriate to offer suggestions for the OP that may be cheaper and/or easier than legal action.

Back