At Leaseholder's Mercy

Status
Not open for further replies.

xodus321

Anyone knowledgeable in this situation would of great help to me. Here is the WHOLE situation:

In February 2006 Myself and J moved in a 3/2.5 townhouse. Due to my low credit score and a former apt being put on my credit report, we agreed that he would sign the lease. The agent was aware that we would both be living there and said I "could be added to the lease later". Now I'm not sure if this was normal protocol or if she was just doing us a favor... either way she, representing the company, knew I would be here and not be on the lease. Well my initial idea was to pay off my old apt account and then get on the lease, but long before that became a possibility the problems started...

He found us a coworker to fill the 3rd room. Amongst themselves they decided i should pay an extra $25 since I have the master room. I agreeded and said it was fine with me. One thing to note if it matters is I am the one who contacted him to live together AND found this complex.

At some point J, decides he wants to save money for school and without any type of consultation, moved in another roomie into his former room. we were upset by this but it ended up working out because we got along with him. So J moved into the livingroom. We were under the impression that now 4 people would be paying into the rent. J had other plans. The new guy was basically paying his rent for him and on top of it paying an extra $50 just because (yes, he did agree to this). So J is at this point living here rent free and only paying utilities. Next, again without permission he moves in 2 people into the livingroom with him who we all but had to physically throw out. They didnt work or contribute but ran up bills and ate like they did.

We're just getting started...

At the beginning of month #3, J decides my share of the rent is an extra $50 and not $25. With him waving the lease in mine and everyone else's face who objects to ANYTHING, I reluctantly agreed.

At some point, we come to agreement that J will pay the light bill by himself (more or less, he TOLD us this was how it was gonna go... ONCE again waving the lease at us).

But the thing is since he's basically extorting extra money from me and the newest roomie, he's basically paying the light bill with our money, so aside from the cable bill, once again living here rent-free, much to our dislike.

Basically, is there any way for us to stay here (WE LOVE THE APARTMENT AND ALL GET ALL WELL WITH EACH OTHER), but stop the incessant financial blackmail?

He admits that he worked it out this way, but doubt he'd ever acknowledge that to anyone not staying here. But he made this decision-- we were made to agree to it by force basically.

I'm pretty sure subletting isnt allowed--but like I said the agent knew I would be here w/o signing the lease.

In case you're wondering as of now, nothing is in writing. I've been trying to rally the other roommates but between schedules and procrastination (on their parts), nothing has happened yet. I wanna try again, write up an agreement and get him to sign it, but at this point, he has so much control, he'll probably balk at it.

I really dont wanna move (especially since I found the place) but I dont know what rights I have if any against him. Can he do this? Do we have any leverage since although he's on the lease we pay ALL the bills? The cable is in my name and the lights are in the 2nd roomie's. Do we have the live under the constant threat of being put out or further having to support him against our will? PLEASE HELP!! I have never been in a mess like this before.

Oh as an added bonus, his cousin is now living here rent free as well with him in the livingroom. We agreed she could stay a month and contribute to the household... Needless to say that month has come and gone and none of us know of a dime that has been put forth by her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back