Assault & Battery Assault & Battery at Target

Status
Not open for further replies.

tshmoon

Hello,

Last Friday, I was leaving the Target parking lot, when a man and his son was crossing the crosswalk and prematurely stepped off into the street and tried to shortcut through the street (Jaywalking). As I was approaching the stop sign (at 10MPH), I had to prematurely stop and slammed on my brakes. The man started yelling "Hey you almost ran me over" and other profanities, but I just waved him off. Of course, I was at least 10 ft away from him when I stopped. Anyway, he came over to my passenger side and started banging on the window with this fists and my three kids (10/6/4) in the back got quite a shock. I told him to stop and he wouldn't, so I opened the door and went to confront him, since he was trying to damage my car. After a brief encounter of words, but I told him he was an idiot for getting off the crosswalk and claiming that I "almost" hit him. Nonetheless, I got back into my car and left. But I never touched him or assaulted him in any way.

Today, a police officer came to my house and informed me that the man had filed a Assault and Battery charge against me and that he claims that I hit him and punched him. The officer said there was no witnesses, just his son collaborating the man's story. I told the police officer my story and he said that this will not make it, since we had different stories and he did not have any idependent witnesses. He said that the DA will determine if to press charges or not. This was simply amazing to me, since of course, never happened!!

I am appaled how somebody can claim such things, and especially the get his 13 year old son to testify like that. Also, my 10 year old daughter was upset that why would they make such charges, since she clearly did not see any violence that later afternoon.

My question is: What should I do? Should I wait for the DA and Police Officer to respond? Should I get a lawyer? I am really getting scared (since I am from Afghanistan) and the whole terrorist thing might be a factor here....

Please help!!
Thanks
TSH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back