'AS IS' final?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adflict

Three months ago I initiated a used vehicle purchase from some people I found on Craigslist.com. I purchased a 1991 F250 for $300 a month, 22 months. The bill of sale
states "AS IS". I repeatedly told the owners, I need a daily driver. They told me the truck was excellent, their son drives it daily. They also told me the clutch was new. Three months later, two days ago, the clutch blew out. I had a mechanic come to the location and check it, and he decided to look over the rest of the truck. Oil is the airfilter compartment, crack manifolds on both sides, exhaust not attached properly. I also had to replace both battery cables, the starter cylenoid, and the starter. (those were last month). Now I told them I wasn't against buying an older vehicle and putting a little money here and there in it but I needed payments for a reason. I was quoted $900 + to fix the clutch. Is there anyway out of this contract?

PS. i'm holding the title and he didn't fill out the lien holder area... does that give me any leverage?

Three months ago I initiated a used vehicle purchase from some people I found on Craigslist.com. I purchased a 1991 F250 for $300 a month, 22 months. The bill of sale
states "AS IS". I repeatedly told the owners, I need a daily driver. They told me the truck was excellent, their son drives it daily. They also told me the clutch was new. Three months later, two days ago, the clutch blew out. I had a mechanic come to the location and check it, and he decided to look over the rest of the truck. Oil is the airfilter compartment, crack manifolds on both sides, exhaust not attached properly. I also had to replace both battery cables, the starter cylenoid, and the starter. (those were last month). Now I told them I wasn't against buying an older vehicle and putting a little money here and there in it but I needed payments for a reason. I was quoted $900 + to fix the clutch. Is there anyway out of this contract?

PS. i'm holding the title and he didn't fill out the lien holder area... does that give me any leverage?
WHAT DID YOU HONESTLY EXPECT FOR $300??? ARE YOU ON DRUGS?

AS IS pretty much means as is. Most states do not have a used car lemon law but I do know NY has one, so if you are in NY you might have somne recourse.

Otherwise, you have to prove the previous owners knew there was something wrong with the truck.

AS IS is always a risk and you should always ask for paperwork and maintenance done on the car or have a mechanic look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back