Assault & Battery Arrested for domestic violence in self defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Distressed10001

My now ex-boyfriend and I were having an arguement about him moving out when he started pushing me. He shoved me into a wall and I had a huge lump on my forehead. I ended up slapping him at some point after telling him to leave a bunch of times and him pushing me. Apparently it was my nails that got his face which I didnt know until after the cops were at my house. He walked outside and I locked the door. He had walked outside to call the cops which I didn't know at the time and after I had calmed down enough to find my phone, I was inside calling the cops. Very long story short, the cops told me that because he technically filed the complaint first and that because his injuries looked worse than mine, I had to go to jail. He told the cops that he did not want to press charges and i'm afraid that this is going to ruin my entire career because I didn't get to 911 first. HELP.

You need to speak with a defense attorney ASAP. Anger management classes might be in order, too.

I should also add that he has physically hurt me in the past on several occassions. I have been with him for awhile and after every incident he would cry and promise he would never do it again and that things would be better. I loved him and wanted to believe him so I never called the police. This didn't occur out of anger on my part, this occurred because I couldnt deal with it anymore which is why I wanted him to move.

Florida may be different, but it is not necessarily a race to see who calls first. What the police look for are the injuries. The person who caused the most significant injury, whether in aggression or self-defense, will likely end up in jail. The argument of self-defense is one that is made in court, not necessarily at the time of arrest- though that doesn't hurt.
What you describe sounds very common. Unless you are ultimately convicted in court of domestic violence or any other offense then there should be nothing to haunt you career-wise.

Domestic violence is one of the most common crimes around.Women are the victims and its self-defense when we hit back.There is never a reason for a man to put his hands on a woman,and vice-versa.Never feel like you deserved to be abused,you didn't.You should plead not guilty as it was a self-defense against a treat to your safety.Consult a criminal defense lawyer,particularly if this is a preliminary offense,as you may qualify for a "first offense sentencing" or diversion program.He will be charged with domestic abuse.You can claim self-defense.
Thanks you so much.It's very hard,but we are trying to get through it as a family.

Women are not always the victims, and it is not always self-defense when you hit back. Hitting back can potentially turn the victim into the aggressor. It is not uncommon for both the male and female to be arrested when they both have visible injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back