Other Criminal Charges & Offenses Arrested, charges pending, now a year later...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaileyRain

I was arrested one year ago today on felony embezzlement charges (pending). I posted bail and obtained legal council (That I have not heard from in 6 months). However, charges have yet to be filed, I was never arraigned.....now its one year later. How long can the D.A. sit on this before actually either moving forward or dismissing? How will I know? The D.A. has continued the case twice now right around the first part of 08' again with no charges even being brought.

How long the DA can sit depends on what state you are in. In my state, if this is a felony, he has three years from the time the crime is discovered to commence an action ... one year of a misdemeanor. There is little you can do to compel the DA to either drop it or go to trial. Consider it possibly a good sign that they have not gone yet ... it's likely they are still trying to tie up loose ends or do no have enough to go to trial on yet.

Had you remained in custody, you might have been able to force the issue ... now, the state can drag it out.

Check with your attorney to see if there is anything he can do to fin out the status with the DA.

- Carl

I know you do not like having this hanging but the longer it goes the better chance you have of them deciding to drop it. Better to let sleeping dog lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back