Army discharge and move

K

Klogan1224

Jurisdiction
California
So my husband is getting discharged from the army on February 10th 2017.. we have a open CFS case.we are in family maintenance. I share custody of one of my children with another man. The child lives with me though and always has. So with this discharge all of our stuff is getting moved to South Carolina, where my husband is from ad where our next house is. His family owns the home but they re allowing us to live in it for free just paying utilities. We have no where to live in California once he is discharged. So my question is , will DCFS just transfer our case out of state to South Carolina?

will DCFS just transfer our case out of state to South Carolina?

Maybe.
Maybe not.
It all depends on WHY a case was opened against you.
If you leave without CA approving your departure with the child, you could end up facing criminal charges.
Again, it all depends on WHy the case was opened.
I don't need to know WHY, you need to know why.
I suggest you speak with the your lawyer or the caseworker originally (or currently) in charge of the case.
The child has a "guardian ad litem" appointed by the court to represent the child.
If that hasn't happened, the case may not yet have reached the judicial level.
It may be at the administrative hearing level, which is why you need to explain your situation to child services, and make sure you and the child are able to leave CA.
Generally an adult would be free to leave the state, but a child may require special approval to be taken outside of the county or state.

Ask someone ASAP, before you step into a steaming, smelly, legal pile of "YOU KNOW WHAT".

Back