Are US student loans collectible abroad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatcat

My ex-husband is now living in Norway and wants to stop paying off his US student loans. I am wondering (1) can they "go after" him in another country, and (2) if they can't get him, will I be liable?

So, he thinks it's okay to default on his loan, is that it? He's somehow above the law and should be allowed to get out of paying what he owes when it's not convenient?

This is not legal Advice!

Hey

Your question: "My ex-husband is now living in Norway and wants to stop paying off his US student loans. I am wondering (1) can they "go after" him in another country, and (2) if they can't get him, will I be liable?"

No.1 Is your husband Norwiegen?

No.2 Did you stand guarentee that he would pay?

No.3 How much dose he owe?

Ex's status

I believe he now has Norwegian citizenship because he married a Norwegian native.

I did not sign on any of the loans he took out.

This is just speculation, but I would estimate the amount outstanding to be around $10,000.

I am hoping that since I didn't sign and he is remarried, that means I won't be held responsible for his lack of payment.

I can't see any reason why you would be held liable for them.

However, don't think he's in the clear just because he's out of the country. They may or may not go after him in Norway but if he returns to the US at any time, they can come after him for it then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back