Are these valid points against my spouse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hans278

Jurisdiction
Georgia
Good afternoon, everyone.

I am currently divorcing my wife. I filed last year. Everything is still ongoing. We've been married for 5 years, separated for 4 years.

I offered her a deal before one of our hearings. I volunteered to:
- Continue paying on and be solely responsible for the marital debt (>$20,000)
- Let her keep all of the marital property (I left the household with just my clothes).
- Pay $200/month in temporary alimony

She denied the deal. In addition to the above, she is asking for:
- $1,000/month in permanent alimony
- $5,000 in attorney's fees
- Payment of ~$4,000 in medical debt

Also, she wants to keep all of the settlement of over $50,000 that she received from a botched medical procedure (unrelated to the cause of the medical debt), which she received during our separation. I was not aware of this settlement until one of our hearings.

That aside, I want to know if some of her actions can be used against her:
- Up until the year of our separation, she withdrew money into her personal savings account which included part of the marital debt that I am paying on
- Using part of the settlement, she moved out of our former residence and purchased a house
- When she moved, she gave away many items of property without consulting me. I don't know what she gave away, or if it was marital property or separate
- She told me she was evicted from the former residence, a lie. I spoke with her former landlord, who confirmed. I know that on its own this is probably insignificant, but should a statement be gotten from the landlord ahead of time in case she decides to tell that lie in court? If anything, be used against her character. She was very nasty to this landlord.
- She led me to believe for 4 years that she had a medical condition, of which my medical insurance was used to help treat and part of why I didn't divorce her sooner. In court, she stated having a medical condition, but not the one she told me. Another lie.
- She most likely has perjured herself in one of our hearings. She stated that her car was repossessed and that I allowed it. For one, I didn't allow it - I couldn't pay it. My own car was in danger of being repossessed. Secondly, I don't think it was repossessed - I think she *told* me it was, back when it happened, to get more money out of me. If she had such a large amount of money, she wouldn't have allowed the repossession to occur. Does this potential perjury even matter as well?

I tried to be as brief as possible. Thank you very much in advance.

Divorces of the 21st century are granted without a showing of fault by either spouse.

I didn't read your manifesto because none of it is relevant.

If you and your soon to be former spouse can't agree, the judge will decide for you.

I have no idea why yours has taken so long.

You might wish to consult with a couple attorneys that practice in your county to better understand the delay.

Divorces of the 21st century are granted without a showing of fault by either spouse.

I know this. I filed under no-fault. She counter-sued for no fault. She wants alimony and payment of bills and other debt. She was already given $400/month in temporary alimony until our next hearing, along with payment of the $4,000 in medical debt.

I didn't read your manifesto because none of it is relevant.

"Manifesto"? It was tempting not to read your post because none of it answers the question or is based on any knowledge of the situation.

I have no idea why yours has taken so long.

You might wish to consult with a couple attorneys that practice in your county to better understand the delay.

I know exactly why it's taken this long, and I have consulted with attorneys.

Thanks for the helpful information.

Last edited:
I know this. I filed under no-fault. She counter-sued for no fault. She wants alimony and payment of bills and other debt. She was already given $400/month in temporary alimony until our next hearing, along with payment of the $4,000 in medical debt.

I don;t know how long you've had to pay her, but each month your deficit grows.

It might be time to pay your money to a good lawyer to stop the financial bleeding.

"Manifesto"? It was tempting not to read your post because none of it answers the question or is based on any knowledge of the situation.

Tempting?

You have now elucidated to yourself WHY it is best to seek a consultation with an attorney who is able to better discern matters germane to your legal issues.

Yet, you were unable to restrain yourself.

This thread is closed, don't open another on this topic or a similar topic..

You remain FREE to seek better responses elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back