Are Teachers Allowed to Teach Class During Lunch?

L

Louis Thomasson

Jurisdiction
Florida
My AP Bio teachers is telling the entire class to come to his room during lunch today so he can teach class with a guest speaker, and attendance to this event is required by the teacher. Is he allowed to require students to come to his class to do assignments outside of their class period if it is not a lunch detention and no student infractions have been made?

My AP Bio teachers is telling the entire class to come to his room during lunch today so he can teach class with a guest speaker, and attendance to this event is required by the teacher. Is he allowed to require students to come to his class to do assignments outside of their class period if it is not a lunch detention and no student infractions have been made?

Yours is not a legal question. If you have a problem, talk to your instructor and/or the school administration.

Yours is not a legal question.

I disagree. It is a legal question. Some states, for example, require public schools to provide at least a certain amount of time to each student for lunch. Florida does not appear to be among them, however. There is also the issue of whether the school accepts funds from the federal government for school lunches, in which case relevant federal statutes and regulations apply. In short, more information would be needed to really determine if there is any guaranteed lunch time to students in Louis' situation.

If you have a problem, talk to your instructor and/or the school administration.

I agree that's a logical first step for this.

I disagree. It is a legal question. Some states, for example, require public schools to provide at least a certain amount of time to each student for lunch. Florida does not appear to be among them, however. There is also the issue of whether the school accepts funds from the federal government for school lunches, in which case relevant federal statutes and regulations apply. In short, more information would be needed to really determine if there is any guaranteed lunch time to students in Louis' situation.

I agree that's a logical first step for this.

Those are fair enough points. Unfortunately, for our OP, he's not going to have an answer by lunch time ;)

Back