architect needs to file mechanics lien

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert_b

My client owes me money on a commercial remodel. Tenant has occupied the space since November of '06. Client is about to sell building to tenant. Would like to file a lien prior to sale. I've been in contact with client continuously via email and cell phone since tenant occupancy. Client is trying to get tenant to pay my fee, but my agreement was with client.

any help would be appreciated.

You cannot file a lien until you have gone to court and gotten a judgement against them. So if you have not done that, that's your first step.

You don't give your state, but check with a lawyer in your state.

There are GENERALLY very strict requirements that must be met before the work is done for an architect (or whoever) is able to file a mechanic's lien.

If that won't work, then (as cbg suggested) file a lawsuit. Tell your lawyer the magic words lis pendens (which is Latin for, "Your title is screwed up now!")

AND, while you are at it, have your lawyer tell you in the future what you must do to be able to file a mechanic's lien OR (even better) demand cash up front (as real estate appraisers do).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back