Arbitration for Real Estate Sold in Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.

ambadyna

I sold a house in Oregon and relocated to the state of Florida. Four weeks after we got here, the RE agent in OR was calling us to say that a window in the house we used to own in OR was leaking and that the new owners were demanding someone fix it...since they just moved in and the water damage was obviously accumulating over some time. They are theatening to take me to arbitration should I not pay the bill...somewhere in the neighborhood of $3000.

My RE agent is telling me that in the contract for earnest monies that both parties signed says, 1) once home inspection items agreed and fixed (by the way, home inspection came back very clean with no major issues), you buy house as is.. but later in the contract it reads 2) that I can be taken to arbitration if the new owners disagree on an issue. If what the RE agent is telling me reads true in the contract that we signed...then....

Hopefully I can ask this simple two part question. In a worse case senario, if I call their bluff...1) can they take me to arbitration (ie: does arbitration cross state lines) and 2) if they can and judgement is passed against me, how do they get me to pay (ie: do they have jurisdiction over me in FL to actually pay the judgement in OR).
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back