Applying to LS-will past hold me back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mylaw

I've had a DWI in NJ about 2 years ago, was convicted and received min fines etc since it was my first offense. I lost driving privileges only in NJ (for 7 months) and not in NC or elsewhere. I attended a DWI Program which was required by NJ.
Anyway, I am going to apply for Law School in the Fall of '06 and I was wondering if I that DWI will cost me acceptance...shoudl I even mention it since it was in NJ and not in NC (I am applying in NC and I live here also).....HELP!!! Thanks in advance for your answers!
Cheerio~

mylaw said:
I've had a DWI in NJ about 2 years ago, was convicted and received min fines etc since it was my first offense. I lost driving privileges only in NJ (for 7 months) and not in NC or elsewhere. I attended a DWI Program which was required by NJ.
Anyway, I am going to apply for Law School in the Fall of '06 and I was wondering if I that DWI will cost me acceptance...shoudl I even mention it since it was in NJ and not in NC (I am applying in NC and I live here also).....HELP!!! Thanks in advance for your answers!
Cheerio~
Ask the law school admissions department but I don't think it should affect you. From the University of Mass. Law School:

"When you apply to law school, you will discover that most applications ask you about your undergraduate disciplinary record and your criminal record. The questions are sometimes very open-ended: those about your disciplinary record might ask for information about any time you have been disciplined either for academic or non-academic reasons. Those questions about your criminal record may specifically ask you to describe any incident, even if you were not convicted, were a juvenile, or the record was expunged or sealed. ...

The first thing you need to know in answering these questions is that minor violations or convictions will not keep you out of law school. On the other hand, misrepresenting your disciplinary record or arrest record will be taken very seriously both by law schools and by the bar admission authority of the state in which you eventually seek to get licensed. Therefore, the guiding principle you should keep in mind as you respond to these questions is that you be completely forthcoming and honest. Any misrepresentation will hurt you far more than the underlying offense."

Santosdoll

I would look into the story of Judge Joe Mathis, which may help you with your question. His past didn't stop him with his law career.

Cheerio~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back