Applying for Naturalization/Citizenship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Umair

Jurisdiction
Texas
Hello, I am currently a permanent resident of the United States. My question is when will I be eligible to apply for U.S Passport?

Here is some background. I got B1/B2 in January 2017. I visited the U.S in march and went back in May. I got married in January 2018 and came to the U.S for the second time. My husband applied for the adjustments of status and stayed in the U.S until I got my green card which I got in February 2021. I went out of the US in November 2021 for 3 weeks.
The interviewer at my immigration interview mentioned that I will be eligible for the passport in 1 year (2022) as I have stayed in the US for more than 3 years at one time. My question is when can I apply for the passport? If I apply for the Passport now ( May 2022), when can I expect to receive the passport?

. My question is when will I be eligible to apply for U.S Passport?

Ask the officials at USCIS.

Internet entities can't provide accurate processing times for OFFICIALS of the US Government.

Processing Times

Check Processing Times | USCIS

Processing Times

USCIS Processing Times for Common Immigration Documents

I went out of the US in November 2021 for 3 weeks.
The interviewer at my immigration interview mentioned that I will be eligible for the passport in 1 year (2022) as I have stayed in the US for more than 3 years at one time

Read what you posted carefully.

You admit to leaving the safety of the USA in November of 21.

By your own admission, you chose to absent yourself eight months ago for three weeks in November.

Ask the immigration officials, not strangers and internet dummies, like me!!!

You have to be a US citizen or US National in order to obtain a US passport.

As Zig says, you have to be a US citizen / national to get a US passport. A US national is a non-citizen that has an special allegiance to the US (mostly due to residing in an outlying US possession). As an LPR, you can enter the US without a passport, but you're not eligible for a US passport (and you need a passport from some other country for other international travel).

What the officer was referring to was that while it normally takes FIVE years to get US citizenship as an LPR, as a spouse of a US citizen, you're eligible in three years. You have to have LPR status for THREE YEARS (as stated), but only need to be physically present for 18 months prior to applying.

Once you take the oath of naturalization and become a citizen, you can get the passport.

You may wish to consult an immigration attorney. While the N-400 and other citizenship steps are straightforward, it behooves you to have a knowledgeable set of eyes to look things over to avoid mistakes and costly and time-consuming delays. Note, that leaving the US during this process can derail things.

Perhaps the OP meant to ask when she can become a US citizen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back