Appearance of Mice

Status
Not open for further replies.

anyboot

I live at an apartment town with wife and two little daughters, which the landlord (apartment company) calls "garden style apartment".
For last 3-4 months, our family lost more than 40 pairs of socks, which were placed in a laundry plastic bag. We used to put the bag in the closet in the kitchen. As the laundry room for joint use with other tenants is located in the basement, I used to take the laundry bag to the laundry room when it is filled with laundry. Some of socks began to disappear after being washed in the machine. I had suspicion that somebody might have picked them.
One day, about three weeks ago, at midnight I saw two mice in the kitchen. When I walked to the kitchen at some rustling noise, two mice came out of the closet where the laundry bag is placed, disappearing behind the oven.
Six days later an apartment employee came to our house and when he pulled out the oven, dish washer, and refrigerator, we saw terrible messes. Mouse holes, large or little, were seen on the wall, and astonishingly our lost socks and even underwear were placed in mess with mouse droppings. I cleaned out all the messes and the apartment employee blocked the mouse holes.
Every month I pay $1403 to the landlord as rent. It was $1,348 until March 2011. I wouldn't have agreed to the 5% increase if I had known this mouse problem. Rather, I'd have moved out. Our family had emotional distress for six days and even now we bother with the possibility of reappearance of mice, so we keep the kitchen light on all the day.
Here I have a question. I wonder what I claim to the landlord. In fact, I sent a letter with some photos of the messes to the apartment manager, claiming the similar statement above, but there was no response.

Last edited:
Read your lease for language regarding the procedure to report problems and repairs.
If you find nothing, you essentially want to do what you have already done- give written notice of the problem. Just make sure you are notifying the right person.
Keep a copy for yourself. If you send the notice by mail send it with a receipt for delivery so you can prove it was delivered.

If the landlord fails to respond within 10 days or so then you may have new options to explore... until then, your only option is to notify the landlord and give an opportunity for them to fix it... which in this case is a few visits by an exterminator and some minor repairs.

Review landlord/tenant laws for Maryland to find out when/if you are allowed to withhold rent, and whether or not you can break your lease if the landlord does not respond. If you fail to follow the procedure set forth in your lease, or in state law, then you may find yourself in difficult circumstances with very limited options.

It would appear from your own posting that management has addressed this issue (i.e., blocking the entrances into your rental). You could request that management provide bait/traps (or you could purchase these products yourself; they are quite inexpensive), however, keep in mind that there might be an odor if a mouse consume the poisoned bait and dies in the walls.

And of course, mouse traps mean that you have to dispose of any dead bodies that end up in these. Some folks can do this; others can't.

No one is going to reimburse you and your family for what you claim is emotional distress.

The issue with things like rodents/insects is not that they aren't present (they can occur even in very clean households) but rather that when you report such incidents the landlord/management responds within a timely manner.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back