apartment lease breaking??

Status
Not open for further replies.

beab

My step daughter signed a 3rd lease for the rental of her aparment. This was done in July, 2005. There are a couple of written in items, one says that she must give 30 days written notice before she moves. I don't mean to sound naive, but as a homeowner, I haven't lived in an apartment for years!!
If she gives the landlord 30 days intent to move, would she be liable for paying the rent just up until the time she moves??
The other thing written in says...will stay for 12 months....see I am confused, it seems these are conflicting statements??
Thank you for the help. BEA

My lease required thirty days notice even if I stayed until the end. If I didn't send it, I was liable for another month's rent. So, if my original lease expired December 30, I had to give notice by the end of November. If I didn't give notice, I owed a penalty equal to one month's rent.

Whether she has to pay the remainder if she is leaving early depends on the lease and the state. I believe some states give renters protection, but I don't live in one, and I don't know which ones do.

Read the lease very carefully. Mine said something like "agrees to pay the full term of the lease regardless of tenancy," which meant I was paying for the full 12 months whether I lived there or not.

Basically she needs to give 30 days notice if she does not intend to renew her lease. So 30 days before her lease is up, she needs to give notice to move.

This does not mean she can break her lease though at any time. She needs to read what it says, most of the time you cannot just break your lease. If she wants to move for whatever reason her best bet is to notify her landlord and hopefully he will start to look for another tenant, but the landlord does not have to let her out of the lease with no penalties. Some people might work with you, others won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back