Apartment Damages, please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibsubaihui

Argentina. General advice would be appreciated if specific is not available. I'm posting this for a friend.

1. My apartment contract expires in a few days.
2. I was living with one other person, but only my name was on the contract. The other person has left (the country) prematurely.

3. The landlord has visited and claims that: Damages, such as marks on the wall, a broken chair, dirty floors and plumbing, amount to $880 (the security deposit / cost of one month) plus over $1000. He demanded this money, firstly "before you leave (4 days)", and later revised to "within 1-2 weeks".

4. Landlord claims that because of repairs he will not be able to make money from renting the apartment for a few weeks.

5. My questions are,

6. How do I go about combatting the legitimacy of his claims (for example the cost of repairs)?

7. How do I respond to his claims about "losing money" due to not being able to rent the apartment until repairs are complete?

Note: Repairs consist of, at most, painting over marks in approx 6 walls, and plumbing that should not take more than 30 minutes if I'm any judge. Also, the floorboards are very dirty and conventional cleaning (with a mop) may not be viable. However, he also mentioned "polishing" the floors, which I do not think I should be accountable for.

Can I be held responsible for "money lost" due to him not being able to rent while he undergoes repairs?

Additionally, he has already claimed that the apartment must be in good condition because he is renting it immediately after I leave. Further evidence against his claims?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated, either advice/solutions, or simply suggestions as to where I should take questions like these.

I'm posting this in other forums.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
This is a very common kind of case.

Each side needs to present its evidence.

The judge will then decide.

That's about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back