Overstay, Illegal Status AOS-Divorce-Status?

Status
Not open for further replies.

suchitraIN

I was on F1 before I used my EAD (acquired through my husband's GC which is in process - Indian - EB3 - retrogressed). Because I used my EAD, I lost my F1 status. However, I am still a student and will graduate with degree this May or August. Now we are heading toward a divorce and I don't know what my status will be. Here are my issues/questions:

1. If I get a job upon graduation, will I be able to go from AOS to an H1 for me? Subsequently will my employer be able to apply for my GC? Basically, how do I maintain my status after I divorce?

2. If I decide to go for another degree program after I graduate from the current one, I know that I can no longer go back to an F1 since I've already shown intent to immigrate because of my husband's pending !-485. What are my options - I graduate next May/August and want to start another degree program as soon as I graduate but I can no longer officially be on F1 since I used my EAD and and showed intent to immigrate. What should I do if I want to be in status and still continue my education but get divorced in the interim?

Please help. Thanks,
Suchitra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back