Aom

fredo143

I FOUND NO HEADING FOR THIS SUBJECT. IT INVOLVES CO HABITATION AND WHAT RIGHTS TO RECLAIM EXPENDITURE

I had placed my wife as matron of our Residential Care Home For The Elderly and she now treated me as one of the staff. I walked out of the marital home and went to live with an old family friend B.We put our old age pensions into a joint bank account but it was never enough to pay for everything so I paid the balance each time.
Betty and I got along well and I put her in my will as the major beneficiary. She reciprocated by saying she would make sure I always had a roof over my head and would now bequeath her house to me. We did not marry because it would lower our pensions but betty had gold jewelry melted down and made into a wedding ring for me. She chose that we should live in her house rather than mine. I sold my house. Now that I expected to inherit her property I spent large amounts of money bringing it up to date by refurbishing it and refurnishing it. Installed a new updated bathroom, installed a new second kitchen in the basement flat.
Did lots of work personally and transformed the large garden into a showpeice with a patio and fountain and built a driveway which had for the past forty years been refused by neighbours. Had an expensive sun lounge conservatory built.
She became ill for months and I took care of her without assistance from anyone. After 18 years of a luxury lifestyle with many cruises and holidays and happily paying for everything I was hospitalised.
I am ambulanced to hospital in the middle of the night with bi lateral pulmonary embolisms. I learn later it could have been fatal.
During hospitalisation B arrives with a sister in law, gave me what can only be described as a hard time while I lay there full of medication. I could bear it no longer and told her that if thats all she came for to get out.
On release from hospital she failed to arrive to collect me . She had been nominated to collect me and care for me during convalesence. I was now abandoned and unwell and homeless at the age of 75.
My older brother came to help.
Then B's lawyer writes to me demanding that I remove all my possessions from her house. No there was to be no mediation. I am instructed to bring a large van. I am on warfarin blood thinning medication and I do not have clothing. It is at B's house. I am bitterly cold during the winter of this long recovery process. I am forced to buy new clothing. More time passes and I buy a laptop for she is withholding my computers. And I am in need of communications.
I respond saying I'm too unwell to handle this at the moment but will do it as soon as I am well enough. I say that I need to attend her house to lable all the expensive electronic equipment and the computers and remove the contents of my safe which has £2500 cash. I always have cash ready for trips abroad and cruises and visits to my property in Florida.
I am not ready until 5th January. Arrangements confirmed between solicitors. I arrive with a furniture removal van. They knock on her door and she answers in her dressing gown. She knows nothing about this. Arrangements are made to return later but she will only permit the basement to be cleared, and entry through the garden.
She will not allow any furniture to be removed. She will not permit entry to any other part of the house. She has dumped clothing and every cable mixed into a large sack without any identification. It will be a difficult job to collate. My second smaller car is parked inside the garden. I cannot remove it. I have no access to the keys. We remove everything from the basement. I contact my lawyer telling him what has happened. He agrees it will require a second trip and she will have to pay for it.
I had taken a flat and signed a lease to correspond with 5th January commencement of occupation fully expecting I would now have recovered my furniture on this pre arranged collection date. Weeks pass and I am paying rent on an empty flat. There is no communication regarding this second trip to collect the furniture. I complain. Do I now wait for my furniture to be released or do I buy new furniture.
In May 2011 I am told by a friend that B has given all my posessions and furniture to the Heart Foundation. I now need to buy new furniture to be able to move into the empty flat I am paying rent on.
I decide to make a claim against B. My lawyer says it is not a strong case and advises me against it. I have lots of money tied up in that property. I feel I am owed. I now find that Betty has sold at £50,000 more than any other terraced house in her street. Surely this is because of my improvements and additions and now the only house in the street with a drive in and off street parking.
I proceed to get counsels opinion. Counsel makes me feel like a condemned man awaiting the gallows. Counsel shows no sign of hope. I write back to my lawyer saying I need a barrister ready willing and able to stand up for me in court and fight for me not someone who sounds defeated as this one does.
I found that B's house was valued at £249,000 and she sold at £215,000 in 2011. I now see it on the market at £395,500.
I find from the DVLA that the small car has been destroyed. I had put this car in B's name on the insurance in case she had an accident , it would then not reflect on my No Claims Bonus which I had carefully preserved.

Last edited:
You don't really ask a question but this board concerns American law, not UK. You have legal counsel so I suggest following their advice.

Back