Anyone out there? Please advise! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

theresaIL

We had a 3 year lease on our IL home. Several months ago our landlord notified us he was putting the house up for sale, had several realtors over, we foiund another place, then he decided he would re-fi and begged us to stay. Have that in writing. We agreed, then in Aug. he emailed and said he'd lost his job and he dumped the house on the market. We clarified, in writing, that he was in fact breaking our lease, and have it in writing that we were released from our agreement with him when we moved on 9-30. In the meantime, notices of foreclosure and tax liens arrived at the house. He had not paid the moregage in 4 months.

Because he owed us $750 for things we have in writing that he agreed to pay for, and had our $2000 security deposit ($2750 total) I did not send the Sept rent ($2200), as I rightly figured he was going to be unable to return our deposit and reimburse for repairs we made (foundation crack - not damage by us) if he's out of work and not paying his house pymt. I received an email yesterday stating he was going to sue us for: $150/day x 4 as we turned our keys over on 10/4, and Sep rent. (We had written a certified letter to him requesting $500 be returned to us, the difference between what he owed us and Sept rent)

I want to be nice about this - feel bad he lost his job and will lose this property, BUT I feel like telling him he broke the lease, put the house on the market, we took unpaid time off from work to "spruce" the place up for showings, to pack, had to hire movers, etc. incurred moving expenses - almost $1000, and left the home spotless - that we'll countersue him!

Can we go after him for breaking our lease and causing us moving expenses? Any suggestions will be appreciated. I don't want to do this, but I am not happy about being threatened with a lawsuit, wage garnishment, etc, when he owes US money. Thank you for advice!

P.S. I would be happy to look up tenant rights in IL regarding landlords breaking a lease, if any of you legal eagles out there know of a good link.
Thanks,
Teri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back