Consumer Fraud Another twist on an old scam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

army judge

Super Moderator

I am a Ham radio operator, and also listen to police calls when I'm working, or pretending to work. :yes:

Be very careful, today I heard a call for police services.

It piqued my curiosity because its only a few blocks away from my office.

It seems a woman received a call and was told she had won a new car.

Before the car could be delivered to her, she needed to pay a $400 delivery fee and sales taxes of $500.

She gave the caller/scammer two credit card numbers.

The scammer sucked off $400 & $500 and told her the car would be there in 30 minutes.

After waiting 90 minutes, trying to call the scammer back, it dawned on her; maybe she'd been scammed.

She insisted on speaking to a patrol officer.

The scammers are getting more creative. :blush

My standard advice stands: YOU DON'T HAVE ANY LEGAL DUTY OR REQUIREMENT TO SPEAK TO ANYONE ON THE TELEPHONE OR AT YOUR FRONT DOOR.

Don't ever give out your credit card number to people or entities you don't trust 1,000,000%! :no:

I bet she hadn't even entered in a contest. What a sucker!

You're right, she hadn't entered any contests. A local radio program mentioned it this morning.
I see why those scammers make so much money. It seems pretty darn easy.

This is a very common scam that has many forms -- cruise ship tickets, cars, foreign lottery winnings. A lot of hopeful people are drawn into the scams and I don't think it's fair to savage this person -- they've suffered enough. The basic rule here is that upfront charges are NEVER honest. No DELIVERY FEE or TRANSFER FEE exists which is required before the delivery or transaction. During, perhaps; afterward, certainly. Never before. This applies to travel taxes, disembarkation fees or anything ANYTHING you'll ever be asked to participate in. As for getting your money back, go to the credit card companies and explain -- they've got fraud insurance and the like. I'd say that's you best hope for satisfaction here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back