Another Trademark Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sholly

I was given a shirt for Christmas that had an acronym and what is stood for under it. There was no trademark symbol on it. It was in the format :

XXXX
Xabcdef Xabcde Xabcde Xabcd

I was wondering if I might be able make these shirts and sell them so I did a search on the web for it. I found a site that was related to it. It had the following format with a TM symbol on it:

X.X.X.X

Could I legally make these and sell them or not?

Thanks in Advance...

There might be issues with regard to trademark law even though it might not be registered federally. But that isn't the main issue here as I don't know what the words stated and whether or not those words could be trademarked even though the individual has a TM symbol next to it.

The words in conjunction with a shirt company might be able to be trademarked. I'd venture to say that if you had words on a shirt that were ROFL, Rolling On the Floor Laughing, I'd bet that it would be a difficult case to make for trademark infringment if you decided to place that acronym and series of words on your shirt. If you tried selling it as a brand that might be another story if this company was selling shirts using this mark as an indicator of being a designation of origin, e.g. ROFL would indicate a specific shirt manufacturer.

There might be other issues but we really don't have enough information to discuss this topic appropriately but I think you get the idea.

Originally posted by sholly
I was given a shirt for Christmas that had an acronym and what is stood for under it. There was no trademark symbol on it. It was in the format :

XXXX

I was wondering if I might be able make these shirts and sell them so I did a search on the web for it. I found a site that was related to it. It had the following format with a TM symbol on it:

X.X.X.X

Could I legally make these and sell them or not?

Thanks in Advance...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back