Annulment or Divorce ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetheartnvy

Sticky situation

My fiancee is married but have never lived with his wife. They were married on Feb. 11, 2003 and stopped living toghter on Feb. 15, 2003. He married her under the understanding that she would move out to Washington with him, since he is in the navy and that is where his orders sent him, and that eventually they would start a family. She did not tell him she didn't want anymore kids. She has a daughter by a previous relationship. Now she is asking him to reimburse her, for a jeep he bought while they were married, and she wants him to reimburse her for their wedding fees, that her parents paid. She feels her parents should be paid back. I have a copy of the list of items she's asking for if anyone wants to see it.

Now my question is, if you file for annulment. Does she have to agree with the annulment or can he petion for it? They have never cohabitated toghter, she held her own job and she lied to him about why she was marrying him ( just for the money). Is there any hope in getting some kind of quick divorce, or does he have to pay her the $8,000 she is asking?

Thanks
Rachael

Last edited:
interesting.. I just went through a divorce turned to annullment after 5 years of marriage.. But the grounds were her bigamist past. Saying she doesn't want kids I don't think will qualify for annulment. Divorce, Yes, but annulment? Na

I don't know about Washington, bu here in California there are specific reasons for an annullment.. And yes both must agree or else the Judge will have to decide if its granted.. If people agree then it can probably be quickly stipulated and then the judge just approves it with out and dispute. It still will require the judge to approve it.. Annullment is usually an exceptional situation and has very specific ramifications which the judge is much more likely to scrutinize, so divorce is more likely.

If the grounds for annullment aren't present then its a divorce.. And here in Calif, divorce takes a minimum of 6 months- if no one contests anything.

The fact that they didn't live together won't nceccessarily invalidate thier marriage and techinically untill there is a filing of legal separation he is still legally bound to her.
Here in California that would mean half of his Income and property he aquires is hers, .. And half of any debt she takes on is his. Of course half her income is his, and half his debts are hers.

In my case I married was married for five years we have a child and she had an affair and moved out. When we married I was aware of a previous marriage from which she had a child.

In the course of the divorce proceeding I found out that she actually had another previous marriage, she married another man in Vegas. They didn't live together long.. Only a few weeks.. And she married this guy in Vegas before she had finalized her divorce from her first husband by about two months., and because of that she says that she felt the marriage in Vegas was invalid so it didn't count and she left it hanging. Yada Yada Yada.

So when we married I only knew about Husband number 1, whom she had a child with.. It turns out that even though Husband 2 will eventually be an invalid marriage since she wasn't divorced from number 1 when she married number 2.. The fact that she left it hanging and didn't have it formally annulled... That made our marriage (number 3) invalid..

A word of caution to you.. Make sure your fiancee gets the divorce or annullment before you marry. And you know it for sure.. SEE the judges stamp. Otherwise you may find that you are living in an invalid marriage.

Some advice to him.. don't just pay her because she is asking.. Get it legally resolved.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back