annulment after 5 yrs in California/

Status
Not open for further replies.

brica

I have been married for 5 years, and several issues have surfaced that we did not expect. We do not want a divorce and I read that a 'misunderstanding' might be grounds for annulment.

Having children is our biggest issue. Initially, I said I wanted children, and figured I would grow into it. Of course, I never did and realize that I never will.

Would this be grounds for an annulment in California?

So after 5 yrs marriage, you don't want the responsiblity to raise the kids you made??? Bah... I'm not gonna judge ya, as far as I know, (which isn't far), You will have to be divorced, as I think an annulment has to be "timely". ( 30 days in my state I think)... Can't imagine ya gettin' an annullment after 5 years tho m8...

Well, I just got an annullment after 5 Years of marriage in California.

But the grounds for Annulment have to be one of very specific conditions for which I discovered in the process of my Divorce.

So I don't think there is any time limit, if the facts warant an annullment. Facts like Bigamy, Under-age, Fraud, a prior spouse returns from the dead, or your spouse was a certifiable idiot.. (Mentally incompetent to have married legally). In my case it was my ex's Bigamy.

But desipite the fact that your marriage could be annulled if the facts warant it, there is still the issue of Putative spouse.. Meaning sometimes a techinical reason will arise that might change a divorce into an annullment, but because one or both parties had a good faith belief of the Marriage.. All the marital rights remain despite the annullment.

As for whether or not you can get annulled for not wanting the children.. Well I think that more like expecting to win the lottery.

annulment for me? almost 8 weeks!

:confused:
jim1959 said:
Well, I just got an annullment after 5 Years of marriage in California.

But the grounds for Annulment have to be one of very specific conditions for which I discovered in the process of my Divorce.

So I don't think there is any time limit, if the facts warant an annullment. Facts like Bigamy, Under-age, Fraud, a prior spouse returns from the dead, or your spouse was a certifiable idiot.. (Mentally incompetent to have married legally). In my case it was my ex's Bigamy.

But desipite the fact that your marriage could be annulled if the facts warant it, there is still the issue of Putative spouse.. Meaning sometimes a techinical reason will arise that might change a divorce into an annullment, but because one or both parties had a good faith belief of the Marriage.. All the marital rights remain despite the annullment.

As for whether or not you can get annulled for not wanting the children.. Well I think that more like expecting to win the lottery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back