Other Criminal Charges & Offenses Animal Cruelty - Punishment

aaronceng

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
From the police report: Slamming a dog on the wall and floor(with carpet cover) from 2 feet high place and the dog was not hurt("but a bit slow" according to DA).
Arrested by police and charged with animal cruelty.
My questions:
1. Animal cruelty in Mass is a felony, but consider that in this case the dog didn't suffer severe pain or injury, can this charge be reduced to misdemeanor?
2. What is the range of punishment would be in this case?
3. How likely filing motion to dismiss would be granted?

Thanks

You should use your 5th amendment right to remain silent.

You should use your 6th amendment right to ask the court IF you qualify for a public defender.

You are INNOCENT until the state PROVES any charges levied against you.

Contemplating what might happen if you're convicted is like trying to prove if Big Foot exists, an exercise in futility.

Such considerations, your guilt that is, is akin to surrendering.

During the pendency of any criminal matter you should remain silent, calm, and discuss any aspect of your charges ONLY with your attorney.

Thanks army judge for your reply. I am just trying to get a general sense of the answers to my questions from other people's perspectives.

Thanks army judge for your reply. I am just trying to get a general sense of the answers to my questions from other people's perspectives.

That is foolish.

What every criminal defendant must do is remain silent and fly under their radar.

Watch this:

Watch this too:

If you're smart, speak ONLY to YOUR lawyer, no one else.

1. Animal cruelty in Mass is a felony, but consider that in this case the dog didn't suffer severe pain or injury, can this charge be reduced to misdemeanor?

I hope not.

2. What is the range of punishment would be in this case?

You should be slammed against something very hard from a very high place.

3. How likely filing motion to dismiss would be granted?

You'd be more likely to be hit by lightning or by a meteorite before it gets dismissed.

Hope you have a good lawyer.

Arrested by police and charged with animal cruelty.

So...the district attorney has actually filed charges?

the dog didn't suffer severe pain

And how exactly do you know this, Dr. Doolittle?

can this charge be reduced to misdemeanor?

It's certainly possible, but why would the DA reduce the charges? The person in question obviously should discuss the possibility of a plea bargain with his/her attorney.

What is the range of punishment would be in this case?

Read this.

How likely filing motion to dismiss would be granted?

The chances of any motion being granted or denied rather obviously depends on the legal and factual basis of the motion.

Back