Animal Control - Interference Citation

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronlam

So this morning I was playing fetch with my lab in a enclosed baseball field in a park amongst 7 other fields. Animal control pulled up so I immediately put my dog a on a leash. He told me my dog needed to be on a leash... and by now, my dog was on a leash and I was walking back to my car. I said okay and continued walking.

The next thing I knew, he yelled at me "DON'T WALK AWAY FROM ME." I stopped for a second but honestly, got a little scared. We were totally alone in this 2 acre park. I didn't know if he was going to try to take my dog or what. I just walked at a normal pace back to my car with the animal control officer chasing me in his car. I got in my car and left.

The animal control called the police who came immediately and pulled me over. I listened and was completely cooperative with the police. I ended up getting a ticket for no leash and a misdemeanor for interference. I have to appear in court.

My question is...

1. What authority does animal control have? Do I have to listen to their instructions? I didn't feel that he exhibited a sense of professionalism for me to believe he was going to treat me fairly... I honestly didn't know what was going to happen. He chased me (while I was on foot) down in his 3 ton truck.

2. Is it really interference if at the time, I wasn't breaking any laws and my dog wasn't a threat to anyone?

3. What can I do to prepare for my court appearance. I have no idea what to expect or what is going to happen.

Your help would be great appreciated. BTW, this is Los Angeles county, City of Torrance.

Best regards,

aaron

I know where we live animal control has about just as much authority as a police officer, they carry guns here and can arrest people as well(with a warrant, and as long if it is animal related or they can even assist a police officer as well.)I really can't help you on your other questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back