Angry Landlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschult1

The problems started to arise about 2 months ago over my dog. She had worms and my roommate also has a dog. I got her de-wormed and proceeded to tell my roommate so that her dog could be treated as well. She was not happy with what had happened and continued to argue with me not only over the dogs but over any little thing she found wrong. Anyway, the problems continue to rise and she continues to play "mother" as well as landlord fussing about small things. I work full-time and I am also a full-time student so I am not home very often. She does not know how to approach me like a human being and rants and yells literally over very minor things (like leaving clean dishes in the drainboard overnight) I guess I should have known not to sign a contract with a 19 year old girl. I am on a month-to-month contract and had just handed over the check for April yesterday. The contract that I signed (which was made up by her and her mother) states that I have to give 30 days notice if I leave. It does not, however, state a termination fee. I was wondering if there was any legal way to get my money back since technically the month has not started yet and move out because she has become extremely unbearable and has been harassing me about nonsense!

Yes; if you are on a month to month tenancy, you are required to give at least 30 days notice you are terminating the contract. It is best if you do this in writing so you have documentation of this.

If you wish to move out, give your notice before tomorrow (the first of the month). However, your check for April will be used to pay for those 30 days (in other words, you don't get this back).

Gail

Ok, so pretty much regardless of how she deals with things (like a child) and including the harassment, I'm stuck. Thanks for your help.

If you give your notice, you are then free to move out. However, you do not get your check back for April.

The thirty day notice is standard on month to month contracts; this allows the landlord time to rerent the unit with limited loss of rental income.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back