K Visa American married to Canadian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamara

I'm an American citizen, married in the states to a Canadian man. We've been together for 5 years, with my 'visiting' him here in Canada, and leaving before the 6 months. I have no visa, as I have just been staying here as a visitor, but have been doing this for the past 5 years. We haven't filed for status for me, because of the cost of the application process. At this point, am I going to have problems getting status here in Canada? Should I file from here, or go back to the states. If I go back, will I be able to re-enter Canada? I'm terrified every time I go through customs, for fear that they'll not allow me to enter.

I enter with only my birth certificate and drivers license. No passport.

Any advice is appreciated.

I am not an expert in Canadian immigration law, but usually things there are similar to the process here in the States: if you enter as a "tourist" repeatedly in a year it is only a matter of time and the sophistication of the border police's computer system that you will be flagged some day and refused entry.

As the spouse of a citizen you probably will be able to easily obtain a residency permit, so you should immediately file for one. Go to this website to get more information about the process: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/sponsor/index.html

being flagged

If you were to be flagged..Does this happen before you board the plane out of the states? Or does is happen when you reach customs in Canada? This has always concerned me, that if they were to not allow me in, once I was already here, what do they do with you?

they put you on the next plane back to where you came from

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back