K Visa American/Canadian marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggie

My daughter (Canadian) and her boyfriend of three years (American) want to be married and live in his hometown. They each live close to the border, half hour drive apart. They have spoke to the border people to get things started. Will they need a lawyerto achieve this and what is the timeline? Both are gainfully employed in their own country. Any information will be greatfully appreciated.

No, they don't need a lawyer, but often it is helpful to have a lawyer.
Once they are married she needs to apply for permanent residency in the United States (a Green Card). There are a few different ways to do this:

-she can wait in Canada until the Green Card is issued (it usually takes about 6-9 months), he would have to apply in the American consulate in Canada.

-she can apply for a K-3 Visa at the American consulate in Canada. That visa gives her the right to enter the US and live in the US until the Green Card is being issued. Once she entered with the K-3 Visa she then has to apply for the Green Card at the USCIS office in the States. It might take a year until the Green Card is issued.

You will find detailed information on the USCIS website: http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/Appproc.htm

Canadian marrying a man with dual citizenship residing in the USA

Hello! I have been doing numerous reading on this board to find out what the best option is for my boyfriend and I. I'm a CDN currently in Canada & he's in the USA & has dual citizenship. We plan to marry; not sure when that would take place. He is wanting to know if I was to go to the USA & we were to get married there is it legal for us to proceed with applying for the K3 spousal visa OR after the marriage would I have to come back to Canada & then he applies for it? Were not sure if the K1 is the best route for us or the K3. I have seen different posts where they say u can go to the USA, marry & then apply for the spousal visa and the perm residency, aff of support etc & then others that say no if u get married in the usa u have to come back and stay put in canada until its all processed. I'm just somewhat confused. If we marry in Canada I believe I just can't go back to the USA with him correct? Once we marry, we don't want to be separated so I hope someone can clear this up for us. We r doing this the LEGAL WAY & just don't want Thanks so much! My apologizes if this has been repeated numerous times.

Basically, it comes down to this:

a) can I go to the USA marry him and live together as husband & wife & then proceed with all the legal documentations needed for the K3 spousal visa;

b) if we do the fiancee visa approach he applies for it while im in canada and once its processed then I have access to go to the USA & then we have to marry within 90days of the date on the visa.

Thank you! :)

Canadian marrying a man with dual citizenship residing in the USA

B]Hello! I have been doing numerous reading on this board to find out what the best option is for my boyfriend and I. I'm a CDN currently in Canada & he's in the USA & has dual citizenship. We plan to marry; not sure when that would take place. He is wanting to know if I was to go to the USA & we were to get married there is it legal for us to proceed with applying for the K3 spousal visa OR after the marriage would I have to come back to Canada & then he applies for it? Were not sure if the K1 is the best route for us or the K3. I have seen different posts where they say u can go to the USA, marry & then apply for the spousal visa and the perm residency, aff of support etc & then others that say no if u get married in the usa u have to come back and stay put in canada until its all processed. I'm just somewhat confused. If we marry in Canada I believe I just can't go back to the USA with him correct? Once we marry, we don't want to be separated so I hope someone can clear this up for us. We r doing this the LEGAL WAY & just don't want Thanks so much! My apologizes if this has been repeated numerous times.

Basically, it comes down to this:

a) can I go to the USA marry him and live together as husband & wife & then proceed with all the legal documentations needed for the K3 spousal visa;

b) if we do the fiancee visa approach he applies for it while im in canada and once its processed then I have access to go to the USA & then we have to marry within 90days of the date on the visa.

Thank you!

Nikita Knight
View Public Profile
Find all posts by Nikita Knight
Add Nikita Knight to Your Buddy List

the K-visa both are to facilitate entry to the US, so you need to apply for them before you enter the country.

Once in the country on either visa, you apply for adjustment of status to permanent legal residency.

So you can go and marry in the US, but before you come here to stay, you would have to go back to Canada and apply for the K-3, or you go right away and apply for the K-1 and then come and marry and stay.

where would it make more sense to marry?

My girlfriend and I are also planning to get married. I'm Canadian and she has dual US and Canadian. We plan to live in the US.

We have easy access to both countries as I am currently in Montreal, Canada and she in Maine and were planning a simple city hall union until we plan a proper wedding down the road for friends and family.

We were wondering in what country it would be for lack of a better term, easier or faster to get the ball rolling, maybe less red tape and such as I'd love to begin working legally asap.

It seems that to live in the US, it may make more sense to do it in the States?

Thanks

I want to become an Canadian

So my boyfriend that is from Montreal and I (I'm from Utah) want to get married in Quebec. We are now both in Utah but want to move in a month to Montreal and get married there. First of all how do I apply for a marriage Visa? Also do I need to know how to speak French? (which I don't) Also can I start working and go to college right away or do I have to wait a few months or so before I can get my marriage visa?

Please, any info that you have would be wonderful.

Thanks so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back