Ambulance/Hospital Costs - Not Authorized

Derek R.

Jurisdiction
Arizona
I'm curious about how this works with law and emergency services. Last year, my under-age son was caught drinking at a party under age. Since he was intoxicated, the Sheriff had him transported to a local hospital via ambulance where he received minimal medical services. Now please know that I am certainly grateful that we have laws and medical services to provide medical care to accordingly. It could've been worse and I am lucky it was not. However, I've also paid health insurance my entire life but when I got a bill for over $7,000, I was beyond myself. So my question is, what rights do we have about paying for these types of services when the ambulance transportation and treatment at the hospital was not authorized? Thanks for your help and feedback.

So my question is, what rights do we have about paying for these types of services when the ambulance transportation and treatment at the hospital was not authorized?

If the patient was treated as an emergency admission/consult, it was authorized.

If you have a beef about the costs, take that up with the arresting agency's Chief or Sheriff.

You can also consult your insurance carrier.

If it had been my son, I'd have had a conversation with the lad.

That said, our children knew that to engage in anything my wife or I didn't authorize would lead them into far worse territory than being arrested by the police.

So my question is, what rights do we have about paying for these types of services when the ambulance transportation and treatment at the hospital was not authorized?

It WAS authorized. Your son authorized it when he got himself illegally drunk and needed medical attention.

Have your medical insurance pay its share, you pay the rest, then you take it out of your son's hide.

You might do some research into the medical record to see if you can determine the reasonableness is the trip to the ER. Is there a police report that explains the justification?
Also find out what the sheriff department policy is, if there is one, regarding intoxicated minors. Was it followed?
As a deputy, I would suggest a trip to the hospital only under circumstances in which he was unable to walk or otherwise unresponsive or unconscious. Otherwise a call home would suffice.
However... If he was charged with an offense and was booked into custody then the medical clearance was likely a requirement of the juvenile facility. You will have to check into your local laws to find out whether that goes on the taxpayer dime or is billable to you.

Back