Am I still liable for my unpaidrent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sublm24

If anyone could give me any legal information on my situation I would really appreciate it. I live in California and hope there is a law that will help my situation.

3 Months ago my ex-roommate gave me a 6 day notice and moved out. We were signed to a one year joint lease and still had 8 months left on the lease. I notified the apartment manager immediately to voice my concern of the situation as I am a college student and could not afford to pay for the whole place. The manager suggested that it would be a good idea to find other people to take over the lease, as the next months rent approached I was only able to find someone to sign on to the lease and pay half of the rent (and he was added onto the lease as only liable for half the rent). Both me and my ex-roommate were both moved out when the new person signed on, but the management would not let me off the lease. I have been the only person to try to do anything about this situation since it all began. My roommate has done nothing, the management has done nothing, and the new person who moved in has done nothing (even though he agreed with me that he knew someone would eventually have to move in). I wrote a demand letter to the owners of the property and demanded they call me to resolve this issue and I have not heard from them yet. I have all of my efforts to find new tenants documented and want to know if there is anyway to get out of this nightmare.

Your roommate broke the lease and moved out early and you found someone to take over HIS/HER portion of the rent...but not yours when you moved out.

Why do you think you don't owe for your share of the rent?

Gail

No he just moved out. I was under the impression that they would take me off the lease if I found someone to move in. Then when I did they wouldn't take me off. My roommate also signed a form stating that we would both try to get someone to move in and he has done nothing. I have a copy of that.

You assumed wrong. You never gave your landlord notice that you would be moving out. You need to give 30 days notice. You are on the hook for the rent for 30 days after the time you give notice.

Your landlord has a valid claim against both you and your friend. Most likely you will be responsible for half of any amount past due, and your roommate friend for the other half. You both violated the lease agreement.

However... if you had found someone willing to pay the WHOLE rent, or two renters willing to share and cover the whole rent, then you could have avoided problems.

That's what I'm guessing. I have been the only one to do anything about this situation and am still trying to get someone to fill the other half of the rent. Can I sue my ex-roommate if I find someone else since he did nothing?

You need to pay your landlord your half of the rent as you agreed. Your roommate is responsible for the other half.
If your landlord wants to pursue either of you in court for unpaid rent that is his option, but your roommate has no obligation to you, and you have nothing to sue him for.
Don't pay his rent for him. He broke the lease same as you and owes the same as you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back