Naturalization, Citizenship am I still a dual US/Canadian citizen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jd613

I had thought for the past 10+ years that I had implicitly lost my Canadian citizenship by not ratifying it at age 18 (or maybe 20 or 21, I was never clear what the age was), but recently learned that is probably not the case.

Here's the details:
My parents were both born in, and raised in, Canada. After they married, they came to the States for my dad's education at the ages of 20/21, and became permanent residents (green card) at some point soon thereafter. My sibling and I were both born in the States, me in 1970 and sibling in 1975. We were each US citizens by "ius soli" and also registered as Canadian citizens due to our parents' citizenship at the time of our births. I had always been under the impression that the dual citizenship rules were different for my sibling versus for me, due to Canadian law changes that did not take effect early enough for me.

We have all lived in the States continuously since then, save for visits to family or business trips, none exceeding 120 days. My parents became Naturalized US citizens in 1991, although I am unsure if they had to sign the renounciation of Canadian citizenship at that point.

So which, if any, of the four of us are still dual US/Canadian citizens? :confused:

Under American law all of you can be an American and a Canadian citizen.

Canadian law has changed. Since all of you were born before 1977 there are certain conditions you must have fulfilled. This is what the Canadian government says on its website:

Between January 1, 1947, and February 14, 1977 (inclusive), children born outside Canada to a Canadian parent had to be registered with the Registrar of Canadian Citizenship in order to be considered Canadian citizens. Children had to meet certain criteria and had to be registered within two years of their birth. To determine if you or your children are subject to section 8 of the Citizenship Act, you must know your date of Registration of Birth Abroad or your parent's Registration of Birth Abroad. To verify this information, contact the Call Centre or Mission to get an "Application for a Search of Citizenship Records

From what I read there it looks like, if your parents registered the birth, you were and are a Canadian citizen. Your parents most probably are still Canadian citizens, too, since Canada allowed its citizens dual citizenship from 1977 on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back