Am I Responsible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRZMOZLEY

I HAVE BENN RENTING MY UNIT FOR 3 YEARS. I HAVE NEVER ONCE BEEN LATE ON RENT. I DO UNDERSTAND THAT ANYTHING BEYOND NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR IS MY RESPONSIBILITY. IN MY SITUATION, NEW WINDOW WERE INSTALLED BEFORE I MOVED IN. RECENTLY 3 OF THESE WINDOWS HAVE BROKEN. ALL THE GLASS AND EVERYTHING IS FINE, BUT THE WHOLE LOWER FRAME HAS COME OUT. THEESE WINDOWS TILT IN AT THE TOP FOR EASY CLEANING BUT THE METAL PIECES THAT HOLD THE BOTTOM PART OF THE FRAME HAVE BROKEN. WE ONLY RAISED AND LOWERED THEESE WINDOWS. THERE IS ABSOUTLY NOTHING ELSE WRONG WITH THE WINDOWS. AM I RESPONSIBLE UNDER CA LAW?:dunno:

Explain how it coud be the Landlord's fault? He wasnt living there! Its your Landlord's legal right to keep all or part of your deposit to make house/Apt rerentable. He must document and itemize all repairs and their cost and send this to you within 21 days. If you choose to dispute this then you will need to take Landlord to court. However once again how can this be Landlord's fault or problem when he was not there you were. CA rental laws can be found at link below

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/index.shtml

All We Have Done Is To Raise The Window. I Had A Window Installer Come To My Home Today And He Thoroghly Looked At Each Of The Windows, Even The Ones That Are Not Broken, And I Was Told That The Windows Were Completly Improperly Installed.

Then it would appear you have some proof that simply raising and lowering the window did not cause this damage.

Have you notified your landlord of this entire business?

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back