Am I responsible for this debt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nixfan226

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

On 12/28/2005, while visiting me in NY, my son who lives with his mother in Florida, had a seizure and went to Stony Brook Hospital. His mother told me that my son was covered under state insurance and therefore, she was the guarantor. Apparently, she never responded to the bills because recently I was served papers from the NY State Attoney General's Office Civil Recoveries Bureau on behalf of the hospital for amount of $5552.09. When I called the number on the letter inquiring why I was being served since his mother is the guarantor, I was informed that NY State Law makes both parents responsible for a childs medical care. I negotiated payment arrangements of $50 per month to avoid further collections, but have not signed or returned the written agreement to them yet. I have been unable to get a response to numerous calls, texts or email from my sons mother to confirm her agreement to the arrangements and get teh feeling she is content to nevr address this issue. Now I'm afraid that I will be stuck with the whole bill. Is there any way for me to be resolved of this debt since I am not the guarantor? If not, is there any way for me to negotiate a legal payment agreement for only 50% of the total amount?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Chances are I'm guessing you're out of luck. As a parent you're responsible for the debt. You can go after his mother for her 50%. It's really no different when you've got two co-signers on a loan. The creditor can go after either debtor for the full amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back