Consumer Law, Warranties Am I liable

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMM2

I contracted with a person to paint their house. They paid me $1000 up front, as per the contract. After I had already put in 80 hours of labor, they suddenly informed me I could not continue to work on a ladder on their property unless I obtained insurance that would cover me, in the event I was injured. Their was no discussion of this requirement prior to entering into an agreement, and I in no way suggested I had this insurance. (In fact, I didn't hesitate to answer truthfully when they finally asked me if I had it two weeks into the job.) Since they were fundamentally changing our contract without my agreement, I informed them that they had breached our contract.
After a week they suggested I could complete the job if I signed a waiver freeing them of liability if I was hurt on their property. I declined and told them such things should have been discussed prior to signing the contract. At this point I had lost a full week of work; I no longer trusted them; and I didn't wish to continue working for them. I told them to hire someone else and I would consider the $1000 to be payment for the 80 hours I had already worked for them. They have now informed me that they're filing suit seeking the return of the $1000, plus the difference between my bid and the bid of the painter they subsequently hired. Do they have any chance of success in this matter? Haven't they breached the contract?

Q: Do they have any chance of success in this matter?

A: Yes. 50-50, more or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back