Am I legally required to pay a $3,500 fine and attend counselling?

bluntc0ncussi0n

Jurisdiction
New York
A friend of mine sent me a link to what appeared to be a page offering prostitutes or something like that. There were phone numbers I could supposedly call on the page, so I decide to indulge my curiosity by calling one of these numbers to see if that stuff was even real. I get no answer in the call so I decide to just leave it alone, still laughing at the fact that the website apparently offered "prostitutes." Later that day I get a call from a 718 number who says he's a detective with NYPD, and he tells me that apparently I didn't call a prostitute, and that it was an underage girl who I called instead. Supposedly this girl in particular was from the Dominican Republic, was offered some kind of modelling job and has since went missing ever since she stepped foot in this country. The guy on the phone told me to look up the number he was calling me from and it did in fact show the 86th precinct, and he said said that because I have no priors he managed to convince the parents that I'm just a young guy who was messing around on the internet who has nothing to do with any human trafficking or their missing daughter in any way. He also said they are willing to accept that I'm in no way involved only if I pay a fine of $3500, as well as attend counselling to not only verify I'm not involved in human trafficking but that also I'm not a sexual predator of any kind. They also said that if I refused they have the right to come to my door immediately, arrest me, convict and register me as a sex offender, as well as put my name on the cover of New York Times and have my face all over local news. Because of the ultimatum this officer mentioned, and because of the fact that I was required to send a portion of the fee through Ria Money Transfer, with the officer telling me that the money was intended for a friend or family and that I did in fact know the recipient in real life, both of which are not true. Is this real? Am I actually required to pay this fine and attend counselling sessions just because I called a number? Could this all just be part of an elaborate scam?

This is a scam. The caller ID was spoofed. Block any further contact. Oh, and stop calling random numbers for prostitutes, even if you just want to see if it's even real (pfftt).

Is this real?

The caller is REAL.

The LIES he spewed are REAL.

Does it come as a surprise to you that our US Justice doesn't allow MISCREANTS to BUY themselves out of their criminal jeopardy?

Become SMARTER, don't get SNOOKERED.

How much loot have you sent to the scammer?

Back