Am I going to be arrested at jury duty

A

Ashlen

Jurisdiction
Michigan
I have state disability and I feel like I am under investigation. Recently I went to my doctors appointment and they very surreptitiously asked me to sign a form which I later realized was a form acknowledging they how they would give out my information. My doctor then put a note about my case on my record which they had never done before. Then about a week after that a unmarked white Ford SUV but with the police spotlight on the driver side was parked across the street from my house. I assume in the evening or early morning. It stayed there for about a week. Then I received a Jury summons from my local court. And now the SUV is back in front of my house and strangely they left the front windows open during the rainy season.

So are they going to arrest me at this Jury summons? Or is this not how it works? I would think they would just summon me to court or come to my house and arrest me.

Thank you.

What have you done for which you think they might arrest you? Have you recently committed a crime?

There's another possibility here. The state may be conducting a routine "Continuance of Disability" investigation to verify your continued disability and the surveillance could be to determine if you are working while collecting disability or are performing any physical activities that your disability is supposed to prevent.

So, if you haven't committed an crimes lately and your disability is legitimate, you can go on with your life and don't worry about being arrested when you sign in for jury duty.

Understand that I'm just speculating but years ago I conducted similar surveillance for insurance companies so that was the first thing that came to my mind.

Innocent people get arrested all the time.

I guess I'm asking simply, is it a common thing to order people to jury duty as an excuse to arrest them?

How do they normally proceed with this type of case? I'm going to show up of course but I'd like to know if they thought I wasn't valid wouldn't they just send me a court order or come to my house and arrest me?

If this is a common trick I'd prepare myself in a different way for example giving my cats to a friend to make sure they get fed or simply cleaning up my house or just things like that.

No. It is unheard of to order people to jury duty in order to arrest them.

WHY are you so convinced that anyone wants to arrest you? Even on those occasions where someone is innocent, there still has to be SOME reason to believe they have committed a crime.

Well, thanks.

I mean that's what I thought. But with all the weird stuff that's been happening the timing of the jury duty plus this police looking SUV that is constantly sitting outside my house that I am fairly certain does not belong to the owner of the house especially since he drives by it in his own vehicle and would roll up the windows when it's raining.

I would think I would at least be called to my caseworker before charges. But I don't know, I am not a lawyer or a police officer I really have no way to know how they do things. (plus the police in my town don't seem like the most honest sort to be frank)

But also, why do you keep asking me to admit guilt for something on a legal advice forum? I'm not committing any crimes but even if I was I would have the common sense to not admit it on a public forum. And as a site moderator you should know better than to word your questions in a way that assumes and tries to lead people into saying things that could be used against them.

I've practiced law for decades.
I've been a prosecutor, a defense attorney, and a judge.
I've never seen jury duty used as a ruse to arrest anyone.

If you are asking about being arrested, it is logical to assume that you have done something which would lead to an arrest. The answer to your question depends on whether you have or not. If you had an outstanding warrant or had committed some crime, three would be nothing stopping an officer from arresting you at jury duty. It is extremely unlikely that they would call you to jury duty as a ruse. After all, apparently "they" know where you live.

If you have not committed a crime, you should have no reason to suspect an arrest, at jury duty or elsewhere. If SSA believes you are not entitled to benefits any longer, they would have them cut off, not just have you arrested.

I'm not asking you to admit to anything. I am trying to point out to you that unless there is a valid and supportable reason to believe that you have committed a crime, no one would have any reason to arrest you despite your insistence that you are being set up for an arrest. Yes, it has occasionally happened that someone who is innocent of a crime has been arrested, but ONLY when the circumstances are such that law enforcement would have a valid reason to THINK they had.

If you have not committed any crime, and there is no reason for anyone to think that you have, then there would be no reason for anyone to set you up for an arrest.

Why don't you stroll out to the unmarked white SUV and inquire what they are up to? Do you even know if someone is sitting inside of it? If you've done nothing wrong you have no reason to believe any of these claims.

Oy vey. I think you're being paranoid. They aren't going to leave the vehicle unattended with the windows down. And as noted several times above, if you've done nothing wrong you should have no reason to believe you're being watched or fear you'll be arrested at jury summons.

We have all heard of cases where innocent people have been arrested for crimes they didn't commit. But most of us don't go around worrying that we are going to be wrongfully arrested, which is why I think other posters have been asking you some of the questions they have.

Nobody is trying to get you to confess to anything, or saying that they necessarily even think you committed a crime, it is just unusual for someone who hasn't done anything illegal to think they are going to be arrested. Even if you are under scrutiny or being investigated for some reason, it doesn't necessarily follow that you are going to be arrested. And I've certainly never heard of jury duty being used to lure someone in just so they can be arrested. If they wanted to arrest you, wrongfully or not, it sounds like they've had plenty of opportunity, and they know where you live, so there would be no reason to lure you anywhere in order to arrest you if they wanted to.

Oy vey. I think you're being paranoid. They aren't going to leave the vehicle unattended with the windows down. And as noted several times above, if you've done nothing wrong you should have no reason to believe you're being watched or fear you'll be arrested at jury summons.

Well all I can say is it's been sitting there for about a week through two different rain storms with the front window rolled down. So whomever owns it has done exactly that.

NO ONE here assumed you were committing a crime. We wondered why you were so sure you were going to be arrested if you haven't.

The odds that you were called for jury duty so that you can be arrested are something like two billion to one. If they wanted to arrest you, they'd just go to your house.

Back