Am I eligible for Short Term Disability or Workmen's Compensation

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanheb1

In the past I have suffered from depresssion, anxiety and panic attacks. I had a nervous breakdown and overdossed once on prescription medicines. I applied for Social Security Disability but returned to work before my case was heard. Approximately 3 years ago I was awarded Social Security Disability for the period of time that I was out of work.

I am currently on leave from my job because I began to have panic attacks again. I was in a managerial position and had an (problem) employee who threatened me in writing.

Perhaps I should also let you know that working in general, dealing with people causes me considerable stress. I am on medication and have been for several years.

I was told by my union represetative to apply for Short Term Disability but I think that I should apply for Workmen's Compensation because the condition (which was under control) was caused by the stress of my job.

Thank you for any information that you can give me.

You don't post your state, which can have a bearing on the answer. However, it is EXTREMELY difficult to get a stress claim approved under workers comp. You can try it if you want to; no law says you can't. But the overwhelming likelihood is that it will be declined, since it's quite unlikely you will be able to show that you had NO stress other than at work, in which case you'll have to start all over again with an STD claim, which will be less willing to pay than they would be if you started with them, since you've claimed it to be work related and they're not liable for work related claims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back