am I considered an illegitamate child? Inheritance?

T

Texas girl

Jurisdiction
Rhode Island
I was born 9/1974 but my parents married 10/1974 (Texas for both). My father had several marriages since. I have other 3 adult sisters, I being the oldest (2 sisters from 2nd marriage, and 1 sister from his 3rd). I have been in contact with him for the last 5 months, he currently lives in Rhode Island. When he passes, am I entitled to any of his inheritance? What if I was not included in his will, does that matter? (also he has not told his other children about me)

I suppose there was a time when people cared about illegitimacy but not anymore. What counts is that you are his biological child.

Unfortunately, whether you inherit anything depends on a variety of factors.

If he dies without a will and is still married, the spouse probably gets everything anyway (right of survivorship) unless he still has some sole and separate property in his own name. Then the spouse and children share that under intestacy.

If he leaves a will and names you for something, then you get that something.

If he leaves a will and doesn't name you, you get nothing.

If he leaves a will that refers to his children, but not by name, then you share with the other children.

You don't automatically inherit just by being his biological child.

You're in your 30s, he's in his 50s - 60s. You've both got a long way to go. Assume you'll never get a nickel and just work on your relationship.

Was paternity ever established? When your parents divorced, was he named as the father and have responsibility for child support and visitation?

Back