Sex Crimes, Sex Offenders Am I commiting statutory rape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vipersg123

I am 18 years old, my girlfriend is 17 years old, we have been having sex for the past few months and my parents said that if i had sex with her it would be statutory rape, but then I hear from lots of other people once you are 16+ in Massachusetts consensual sex is legal. I've done google searches and I can't find a straight answer anywhere. Could anyone please help me out here?

-Thanks

This is the law:

Chapter 265: Section 23. Rape and abuse of child. Whoever unlawfully has sexual intercourse or unnatural sexual intercourse, and abuses a child under sixteen years of age shall, for the first offense, be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for life or for any term of years, or, except as otherwise provided, for any term in a jail or house of correction, and for the second or subsequent offense by imprisonment in the state prison for life or for any term of years, but not less than five years; provided, however, that a prosecution commenced under the provisions of this section shall not be placed on file or continued without a finding

Have a look here: http://www.belmontpd.org/Divisions/CP/statatuory_rape_info.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back