All my picture ID's have expired

Need Help Please

Jurisdiction
New York
Greetings ,

I am a 49 year old male , don't drive so I never had a drivers license. Never had a passport. My birth certificate cannot be found. I have been fingerprinted in NYC and my fingerprints are on file.

My question is: Can my local police department verify my identity by using my fingerprints that are on file so that I may be able to get a valid picture ID?

Thank you for your consideration in this matter

That ruse has been tried millions of times, never works.

You've lived in the USA, never had a drivers license, state ID card, prison ID card, social security card, birth certificate is "lost", no school records ...

You could obtain a passport if two people who can prove their identities appear in person and by affirmation attest to who you are having known you for years.

Frankly, NYC fingerprints won't establish WHO you are, just that you've been printed.

That ruse has been tried millions of times, never works.

You've lived in the USA, never had a drivers license, state ID card, prison ID card, social security card, birth certificate is "lost", no school records ...

You could obtain a passport if two people who can prove their identities appear in person and by affirmation attest to who you are having known you for years.

Frankly, NYC fingerprints won't establish WHO you are, just that you've been printed.

Whoa , I'm not trying to scam anyone. I have a social security card , an expired New York State Learners Permit with my picture , a New York State Benefit card with my picture , an expired Faculty ID from QCC with my picture and my Medicare card. All in my name. My problem is that I have been told none of these are valid forms of ID. For example , filling out a rental application , opening a bank account.

Thank you for your consideration inthis matter

When you asked the local police department if they would be willing to do this, what did they say?

Assuming they agreed, when you asked the DMV if they would be willing to accept that, what did they say?

Why can't you get a driver's license simply by taking the written and road tests? All you have to do is pass the test; no one is saying you have to actually drive once you have it.

Last edited:
Take your expired learner's permit to the DMV and use it to help you obtain a NY Non-Driver ID card. Go to the DMV website for more information and requirements.

Birth certificate's can be replaced as well.

Take your expired learner's permit to the DMV and use it to help you obtain a NY Non-Driver ID card. Go to the DMV website for more information and requirements.

Birth certificate's can be replaced as well.

I called the DMV , they said I need a social security card which I have and they said I need a Passport or a Birth Certificate which I don't have either one of them. The Passport or Birth Certificate is a mandatory requirement , they said there is no other way. My Birth Certificate cannot be found , I tried.

When you asked the local police department if they would be willing to do this, what did they say?

Assuming they agreed, when you asked the DMV if they would be willing to accept that, what did they say?

Why can't you get a driver's license simply by taking the written and road tests? All you have to do is pass the test; no one is saying you have to actually drive once you have it.

I called the local police department and spoke with the person at the front desk , I asked him if it was possible for the police department to verify my identity using my fingerprints on file. He said "I won't do it for you" and then he gave me the run around. I don't understand Law very well. Why can't they just fingerprint me again and compare my prints with the prints on file? By the way , I voluntarily had my fingers printed in the early 1990's. I am not a criminal.

I've never been able to learn how to drive , I tried to learn when I was in my 20's.

I think I can do this If you can give me more information about how to do this. I've never tried this before so I have no idea how to start.

My cousin knows me for over 30 years and she can prove her identity , I have an Aunt who knows me for over 40 years but she is much older than me and I don't know if she can appear in person.

If the police say they won't verify your identity using your fingerprints, then the answer to the question in your initial post is, No. There is no law you can invoke that will force them to do so. Nor is there any reason to believe that, even if they agreed, the DMV would accept their verification and issue you any kind of picture ID based on that.

Why can't they just fingerprint me again and compare my prints with the prints on file?

Because they don't want to and there's no law saying they must.

I voluntarily had my fingers printed in the early 1990's. I am not a criminal.

Understood but irrelevant to the question at hand.

My birth certificate cannot be found.

You mean you don't know where it is? Or, have you visited the vital records office in the county where you were born, and the office has no record of a birth certificate for you? What about the hospital where you were born (if you were born in a hospital)?

Can my local police department verify my identity by using my fingerprints that are on file so that I may be able to get a valid picture ID?

Before I answer your question, I have one for you: I need a ride to the airport tomorrow. Can the guy in the office next to me give me a ride?

My question is a pretty silly one, right? Why is it silly? Because you don't have the slightest idea what the guy in the next office can or is willing to do. Right? It would make a lot more sense for me to ask him. Right? See my point? All that being said, you told us yourself in one of your follow up posts that the answer to your question is no (maybe you only ascertained that info this morning, after you asked the question in your original post...).

I have a social security card , an expired New York State Learners Permit with my picture

Then go to the DMV and get an ID card. Don't just call; go down there.

I think I can do this If you can give me more information about how to do this. I've never tried this before so I have no idea how to start.

How to obtain a passport.

You mean you don't know where it is? Or, have you visited the vital records office in the county where you were born, and the office has no record of a birth certificate for you? What about the hospital where you were born (if you were born in a hospital)?

Before I answer your question, I have one for you: I need a ride to the airport tomorrow. Can the guy in the office next to me give me a ride?

My question is a pretty silly one, right? Why is it silly? Because you don't have the slightest idea what the guy in the next office can or is willing to do. Right? It would make a lot more sense for me to ask him. Right? See my point? All that being said, you told us yourself in one of your follow up posts that the answer to your question is no (maybe you only ascertained that info this morning, after you asked the question in your original post...).

Then go to the DMV and get an ID card. Don't just call; go down there.

How to obtain a passport.

I contacted the office of vital records and the hospital where I was born neither one could find my records.

Thank you for the links and info. I'm at my wit's end , this is the first time I have asked for help in a Law forum but it is not the first time I have tried to get this done on my own. My Learners permit expired in 1999 on my birthday. DMV said I can't use it because it has been more than 2 years since it expired. I try , no success , I get frustrated , then time passes then I try again with a different approach. Nothing seems to work. I'm so frustrated I want to cry.

Are you sure you have the correct hospital? Or county where you were born/lived as an infant?

Not 100% sure , just from memory of what my mother told me. Look , I don't want to turn this into a sob story , just some facts about my life. Mommy divorced daddy before I was born , sent me to live with granny before I was 1. Mommy took me back when I was 6 , abused me till I was 13 , then sent me back to granny. I met daddy when I was 17. We didn't get along. I took off tried to make it on my own , no success. I was homeless for 20 years. Things got lost , ID's expired , memories faded , rough times.

The point is I can't trust my family to tell me the truth about anything. It's obvious they don't like me or even want anything to do with me.

I asked mommy to help me get my birth certificate , she said "You have to do that on your own , I won't do it for you"

Sorry for the boring details. I never met anyone who had an easy life. We all have a story , I apologise for telling you mine.

The sob story has nothing to do with it. You were clearly born somewhere. It appears not to be in the place that you thought. You can ask your aunt or other relatives. You can call around to the various counties where you are likely to have been born and see if they have a record with your name on it. You can hit up a library and check old newspapers for a birth announcement. Chances are it would be listed under your mother's name, not yours.

To get a learner's permit you must have had a BC at some point so there is one someplace for you. That copy is I'm sure long gone.

I get frustrated , then time passes then I try again with a different approach. Nothing seems to work. I'm so frustrated I want to cry.

Seems to me that your best bet is to apply for a passport as there are several alternative methods of proving citizenship and identification that might work for you.

Citizenship Evidence

Identification

Don't just call up and ask this that and the other thing. Follow the procedures to the letter, apply, pay your fee, then piece together whatever is missing.

The sob story has nothing to do with it. You were clearly born somewhere. It appears not to be in the place that you thought. You can ask your aunt or other relatives. You can call around to the various counties where you are likely to have been born and see if they have a record with your name on it. You can hit up a library and check old newspapers for a birth announcement. Chances are it would be listed under your mother's name, not yours.

To get a learner's permit you must have had a BC at some point so there is one someplace for you. That copy is I'm sure long gone.

Thank you for the advice. It was much easier to get a Learners Permit in 1986. I don't remember exactly but I think my uncle went with me to the social security office , I got my social security card then used that to get my Learners Permit. I'm not sure of the details but I do remember not having any problems.

My Birth Certificate cannot be found , I tried.

Okay, I went above and beyond to help you, mate.

Read this information, and you'll soon have your birth certificate, and be on your way to obtaining more VALID picture ID.

If you know the city (township or county) in the state or territory where you allege to have been born, it is very easy for you to obtain a certified copy of the document.

For example, I need a replacement copy of my DD214 (military discharge certificate).

I filed it with the office of TWO different county clerks in a state that is irrelevant.

I looked up the process to obtain certified copies online.

I wrote a letter to each county clerk requesting certified copies of my DD214.
By the way, in the unnamed state, DD214s are issued FREE of charge to veterans.
I got the requested copies less than a week later, using the USPS (snail mail).

The relevance of my little anecdote is that if i had wanted a certified copy of my birth certificate, the process would have been just as easy, except I would have been required to pay five bucks for each copy.

Now, in some states, your birth certificate is maintained by the state, usually state health department (or another state agency).

The wrinkle is that in the golden olden days of yesteryear, if you were created by a male and female that were NOT married, your record might have to be sought by another agency.

Okay, back to your little dilemma.

Let's say you are in Syracuse, NY.
That is Onondaga County, New York.

Ordering Birth Certificates By Mail

Note: Only the individuals listed on the original birth certificate (mother, father or child) are authorized to request and receive certified copies of a birth certificate. The person (applicant) making the request must be one of the above.

1. Print ( http://www.ongov.net/vital/pdfs/BirthCertificateRequestForm.pdf ) a request form.

2. Complete and sign the form. Please be sure to complete the applicant and mailing address portions. Please list your name at birth at birth and your mother's maiden name – not her married name. Incomplete applications may cause a delay in processing.

3. Include a check or money order payable to the Office of Vital Statistics, or a signed credit card form. We accept Mastercard, Visa and Discover. If the name on the credit card is different than the name of the individual ordering the certificate, a copy of the ID of the cardholder will need to be included. The cardholder will need to sign the credit authorization form. The fee is $30.00 for the first certified copy and $15.00 for each additional copy of the same certificate when ordered at the same time. If you pay by check, you must include your phone number on the check.

4. Include a signed copy of your identification. Examples of acceptable identification are:
Photo driver license with signature
Non-driver photo license with signature
Passport with signature
Military ID with signature
Employer's photo ID with signature
Photo social services card with signature

If the identification you are submitting has your information on the front and your signature on the back, you must send a copy of both sides. Please make sure the copy is readable. Enlarging and lightening the image of your identification on the copier may help.

5. Mail the request to: Office of Vital Statistics, 421 Montgomery Street, Room 20 Basement Civic Center, Syracuse, NY 13202. A certificate will only be issued after a completed request form, a copy of your identification, and payment are received.

Express Mail (2 to 3 day delivery) is available for an additional $20.00. Next business day delivery is available for an additional $25.00. All other orders will be sent by U.S. Mail, and will take approximately 7-10 business days to be processed.

Now, this gets better for you, mate.
Are you ready for it?

Q. I don't have a valid picture ID and I need to obtain a birth certificate. What other forms of ID can I use? Can I use an expired driver's license?

A. An expired license cannot be used for identification.

If you do not have another form of photo ID with signature, you can instead submit copies of 2 forms of signature ID.

This could include your
social security card,
a benefits card,
a sheriff's ID,
even a credit card.

In cases where the signature is on the back you will need to photocopy the front and back.

Another option is to have your signature notarized and submit that document as proof of identification.

Seems to me that your best bet is to apply for a passport as there are several alternative methods of proving citizenship and identification that might work for you.

Citizenship Evidence

Identification

Don't just call up and ask this that and the other thing. Follow the procedures to the letter, apply, pay your fee, then piece together whatever is missing.

Thank you for this advice. I looked at the links you provided. I can meet the Identification link you provided , it states 'a combination of secondary identification'. I have been searching on my own as well and found links as well. Some confusing information , a link I found said they want 7 different pieces of secondary identification. I have about 5 pieces of secondary identification.

Would an SSI letter be acceptable in veryfying citizenship?

Uoloaded is an excerpt from the link that says 7 different pieces of secondary identification.

I want to thank everyone for their help in this matter , you've given me hope.

Attachments

• Proof of Identification - Passport Info Guide.png
    Proof of Identification - Passport Info Guide.png
    116.9 KB · Views: 1
Army Judge , thank you very much for your effort. You have gone above and beyond , I appreciate it very much. In the interest of brevity I did not quote your post. Multiple attempts on my part over the years have led me to believe my Birth Certificate does not exist , probably due to a clerical error. For example , in around 2008 - 2009 a social worker tried to find my Birth Certificate while I was in the hospital for 5 months. No success. I think my best option may be trying to get a passport. Thanks again.

Back