Alimony

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoffelt

My husband and I were married in Jan. 1989. We filed for divorce in Jan. 2007. I was a stay at home mom and raised our two girls. My husband berated me relentlessly to NOT ask for alimony, he even enlisted my daughters to make threats of disownment if I pursued it. However, I filed a do-it-yourself divorce and did mark the box for alimony, he didn't notice and signed the papers.
AS Of todays date neither him nor I have received a final decree. And on the Stanislaus County Case Lookup it states that our divorce is still an "open" case.
Can I now request alimony? I haven't been able to get back on my feet, I've had to live in my truck for many months and homeless shelters. Thank God I now live in my own trailer with some financial help from my parents....
But I have had to live a lifestyle I never thought I would and found myself exposed completely in unknown territory.

My husband and I were married in Jan. 1989. We filed for divorce in Jan. 2007. I was a stay at home mom and raised our two girls. My husband berated me relentlessly to NOT ask for alimony, he even enlisted my daughters to make threats of disownment if I pursued it. However, I filed a do-it-yourself divorce and did mark the box for alimony, he didn't notice and signed the papers.
AS Of todays date neither him nor I have received a final decree. And on the Stanislaus County Case Lookup it states that our divorce is still an "open" case.
Can I now request alimony? I haven't been able to get back on my feet, I've had to live in my truck for many months and homeless shelters. Thank God I now live in my own trailer with some financial help from my parents....
But I have had to live a lifestyle I never thought I would and found myself exposed completely in unknown territory.

You might want to ask your parents or relatives to help you hire an attorney. You'll probably need to refile.

Why would you relent to someone who berates you? Anyway, talk to a couple local attorneys. The initial consultation is free of charge. It's a good time to ask lots of questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back