Alimony and Lien to recover alimony

Damita Cook

Jurisdiction
Alabama
Hi,
I am divorced and not receiving my alimony. I was married to a Pastor for over twenty plus years. He is about to sell the church . Can I put a lien on the church to recover back pay and alimony payments not being received? I am disabled due to a rare diseased. It is difficult for me to work even though I tried due to this disease.

I was married for over 25 years and I am not receiving my alimony. My ex-husband was a Pastor. I was the cofounder of that church as well . He is about to sell the church is there anyway I can put a lien on the church for back pay of my alimony and alimony payments.

Were you awarded alimony in your divorce decree? If yes, you should have been going back to court to enforce it.

You were the co-founder of the church. Are you also co-owner (on the deed) of the church property? If not, then you cannot put a lien on the property.

However, your decree is the equivalent of a judgment. If it included an award for alimony you can have the decree recorded so it becomes public record. In many states a recorded judgment automatically becomes a lien on property. In some you have to do something in court. I don't know about Alabama.

I suggest you consult an attorney and review your options.

Back