1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

Alimony and Lien to recover alimony

Discussion in 'Alimony & Spousal Support' started by Damita Cook, Feb 15, 2019.

  1. Damita Cook

    Damita Cook Law Topic Starter New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    I am divorced and not receiving my alimony. I was married to a Pastor for over twenty plus years. He is about to sell the church . Can I put a lien on the church to recover back pay and alimony payments not being received? I am disabled due to a rare diseased. It is difficult for me to work even though I tried due to this disease.

    I was married for over 25 years and I am not receiving my alimony. My ex-husband was a Pastor. I was the cofounder of that church as well . He is about to sell the church is there anyway I can put a lien on the church for back pay of my alimony and alimony payments.
  2. adjusterjack

    adjusterjack Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    Were you awarded alimony in your divorce decree? If yes, you should have been going back to court to enforce it.

    You were the co-founder of the church. Are you also co-owner (on the deed) of the church property? If not, then you cannot put a lien on the property.

    However, your decree is the equivalent of a judgment. If it included an award for alimony you can have the decree recorded so it becomes public record. In many states a recorded judgment automatically becomes a lien on property. In some you have to do something in court. I don't know about Alabama.

    I suggest you consult an attorney and review your options.

Share This Page